Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Good Tutorial On Installing Third-Party Software For Mac OS X?

Hey Everyone,

I have a friend who recently switched over from Windows to a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.4.x.

Recently he asked me to explain to him how installing software on Mac OS X works. He was always used to the typical Windows setup.exe installation methods that dropped everything you needed in the Start Menu.

After explaining to him the usage of DMG files, PKG files, Installer.app, and drag-and-drop installs, he felt pretty comfortable with the process.

However, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows a good beginners tutorial for how software installation on Mac OS X works. I checked the Mac 101 site, didn't see much. Searching Apple's knowledge base didn't give me any helpful "general" documents.

If anyone has useful links they can point me to so I can direct my friend (and anyone else that might ask me this type of question) to some reading material, that could prove very helpful.

Thanks!

Power Mac G4 QuickSilver (M8360LL/A), Mac OS X (10.4), 2 GHz Processor Upgrade (Giga Designs), 1.5 GB RAM, 5 Internal HDDs

Posted on Oct 4, 2006 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2006 7:33 PM

I don't think there is such a document because installing software on a Mac is pretty simple and self-explanatory. You've explained as much as there is needed to know.

Your friend could visit The XLab FAQs where he will find numerous FAQs on using and troubleshooting the Mac.

There are plenty of books available that can be ordered through Amazon.com.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2006 7:33 PM in response to AppleGeek

I don't think there is such a document because installing software on a Mac is pretty simple and self-explanatory. You've explained as much as there is needed to know.

Your friend could visit The XLab FAQs where he will find numerous FAQs on using and troubleshooting the Mac.

There are plenty of books available that can be ordered through Amazon.com.

Good Tutorial On Installing Third-Party Software For Mac OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.