Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV pictures and iCloud

I used to envy Apple users. Thinking that they were the Bee's knees of the computer world. But now I have to say that I am glad I have never bought one.

We have a Windows 8 laptop, an iPad2. To go with it I bought dad an AppleTV.

The link between them is supposed to be the iCloud, but it isn't.

The AppleTV is almost useless, the only thing that can be seen on it are new iTune purchases (nothing from before he had the AppleTV). But the only pictures are from 'Shares', things that have been shared by email. To view any other images we would have to write an email sharing all of his pictures. I havenot tried this, because I am not sure it is the right way to do it.

iPad, a tiny number of pictures has gone on it automatically, 5. Plus those that a sister has sent as a share by email. But nothing else, there does not seem to be a way to get pictures onto the iCloud. We paid for extra iCloud storage because we were told if there wasn't enough room it would not work. That did not help. I have also been told that if I pay for some extra in iTunes all of the music will be put on the iCloud, I am reluctent to pay more because what I have paid for so far does not work.

I did sync the pictures through iTunes once directly to the iPad. But we were still trying to get them into the cloud in the hopes of putting them onto the AppleTV. We followed the instructions and came to the message "To share from the cloud the pictures will be deleted off the iPad'. I went off to read a few more Apple support pages before I pressed the continue button. It spent a long time deleting them so we thought it must be copyng them to iCloud. It didn't copy them anywhere, just deleted them, 1,400 pictures gone, luckily the PC and iPad don't talk to each other so I still have the PC copies.. Now iTunes refuses to copy the pictures again, it says 'Cloud sharing is enables' and gives no options. I have tried to switch off cloud sharing on the PC and the iPad, but it does not change.

So, I bought an external memory stick adaptor, from Apple, I copied all of his pictures onto a 32G memory stick, plugged it into the iPad and it says "This device is not supported". So, more money wasted.

The iCloud does nothing, the PC and iPad do not work together, and the AppleTV does not do what it says it does in the Apple TV adverts.

How do I go about getting my money back, because the support pages are not helping and I have no idea how to get this lot working.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jan 9, 2015 6:55 AM

4 replies

Jan 9, 2015 7:12 AM in response to frnkmee

Welcome to the Apple Community.

You may be over thinking things, this is a common issue for windows users, who often are expecting something more complicated.

The link between them is supposed to be the iCloud, but it isn't.

No the link between your devices and the Apple TV is your home network and home sharing.

Your narrative is a little hard to follow, but I think you might be trying to use photo stream to share your photos via iCloud, if this is the case, I don't know where email or memory sticks fit in, all you need to do is turn photo stream on, on all devices, adding photos to photo stream DOES NOT delete photos from a device, you are obviously trying to do something different.

Jan 9, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The home network/share works in that new iTunes music (bought on the PC) gets onto AppleTV and iPad, new music bought on iPad is only shared to the AppleTV.

When I looked at this (been at this lot since xmas day) it seemed to be quite normal for the PC to not properly work with home sharing, unless you had an old version of iCloud available. This stuff is all new so I don't have old versions to install.

But to narrow it all down, if I could somehow get all of the photos back onto the iPad, I think that is the best I could manage. But it will not let me sync them across through iTunes because it says in iTunes 'iCloud sharing is enabled' and does not let me do the sync. I have tried to turn it off, not really sure if it wants me to turn it off on the PC or the iPad, but either way, I can not turn it off.

Jan 9, 2015 8:36 AM in response to frnkmee

The home network/share works in that new iTunes music (bought on the PC) gets onto AppleTV and iPad, new music bought on iPad is only shared to the AppleTV.

If you are expecting this to happen automatically, do you have automatic downloads turned on.

When I looked at this (been at this lot since xmas day) it seemed to be quite normal for the PC to not properly work with home sharing, unless you had an old version of iCloud available. This stuff is all new so I don't have old versions to install.

Home sharing problems are almost certainly a problem with the network.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Home Sharing

Security Software Issues

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

When making adjustments to your network for better optimisation, you may find some of the points mentioned on this page helpful.

But to narrow it all down...

I can't quite follow what you are saying. Where are the photos now.

AppleTV pictures and iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.