Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air won't start - chimes but screen black

Hi All,

I have a MacBook air purchased in Sep 2013 that I've never had the slightest problem with. After shutting down normally last night, I tried to start it today, and this is what happens:

1. I press start

2. After a few seconds I hear the chime

3. Nothing else happens -- screen remains black and the keyboard is dark

I followed all the steps outlined here: My MacBook pro it does not start, including trying to reset the SMC and the PRAM, but this did not help.

Yes, I checked the brightness of the screen. Yes, it has a good connection to power, the power cord light shows amber.

I am running Yosemite 10.10.1

I really don't want to go to the Genius Bar!

Thanks,

Jwol

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 9, 2015 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2017 8:32 PM

I had this problem once before and actually just had it again. This is going to seem weird but what was happening was my display wasn't triggering when the computer was turning on. So what I did was take my cell phone and turn on its flash light. Shine the light through the apple symbol on the back. Through the display you will be able to see your login screen. Login while you are shining the light through the apple. Once you login to your secure screen the display will load and it should turn on the display for you. I hope this helps.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2017 8:32 PM in response to ShawnBurgendy

I had this problem once before and actually just had it again. This is going to seem weird but what was happening was my display wasn't triggering when the computer was turning on. So what I did was take my cell phone and turn on its flash light. Shine the light through the apple symbol on the back. Through the display you will be able to see your login screen. Login while you are shining the light through the apple. Once you login to your secure screen the display will load and it should turn on the display for you. I hope this helps.

Jan 11, 2015 2:36 PM in response to jwoland

Hey Jwoland!

I had the same problem about a month ago and it happened to me again today. the first time it happened i called apple and got it fixed.

1. turn off the computer

2. hit the power button and immediately after hit the Option, Command, P, R all at the same time.

3. the computer will shut down again

4. once you hear the chime again let all buttons go and the computer should start up.

I am currently on hold to speak to a apple representative to resolve this issue for good!

Good luck!

Oct 8, 2017 8:53 PM in response to jwoland

try disconnecting the power cord and powering the unit off unscrewing the bottom case and locating the battery...once located disconnect the battery cord...with a spludger tool or with fingers but be careful... plug in the power cord and power the unit on .....once the unit powers on shut down the unit once the unit shuts down disconnect the power cord again be carful...reconnect the battery cable and screw back on the bottom case.........another solution is to power on the mac let it sit for about 2 minutes and reopen the screen it may cut back on this will leave you without the option of accessing boot features but at least youll be able to operate your mac

Jan 10, 2015 1:42 PM in response to jwoland

Hi I had the exact same problem.I contacted Apple support by phone who went through several recovery/ start procedures all without any solution.They suggested I take my macbook air to the Genus bar in order to investigate further.I complained my laptop was purchased on the 13 December 2014 and am very concerned of its early failure!

I am pleased to say Apple exchanged my air for a new one.I might mention I will not be updating this laptop to Yosemite.

My advise go to the Genus Bar.

Nov 19, 2017 7:17 PM in response to jwoland

Let me shed some lights for those who having this problem. When you power on and hold option+cmd+p+r and your screen start to work it’s just your Mac limiting the use of graphic to allow to boot. If it’s keep having to boot this way you have a bigger problem. Your gpu may be over heating or going bad. display lcd and/or cable bad. Here’s are ways to test for your those problems.

If holding down those key combo and your screen stay black.

1. Connect your MacBook to hdmi monitor or tv. Boot it up. Do you get display on tv? If not your gpu is bad. Take it to Genius Bar to get it replace if still under warranty.

2. If display work on hdmi. If not under warranty hold power button to power it down. You can listen to back of MacBook to hear a faint fan noise shutting down. If not under warranty open back cover and disconnect the battery. Reseat the lcd cable on right side. Reconnect battery and try powering it on. If it work then you may have a bad connection cable or lcd.

3. If this issue happen after an update you may have a corrupted one. Power on and hold cmd+r to get in recovery mode to run diagnostic. If screen still black try with hdmi. Or plug in your MagSafe wall adapter and hold down shift+ctr+option+power for 10 sec and release all keys. Try again. If screen still black try the option+cmd+p+r again. If still not work then your gpu is probably bad.

If none of the troubleshooting above work for you then more then likely your gpu went bad. It’s not a diy replacable part as it’s solder in your logic board. The whole logic board need to be replace which will likely cost as much as buying a good use MacBook.

Bottom line if gpu is bad you will have a nice paper weight or door stopper as it’s not economical to replace the board. All is not lost you can sell it for parts and use money toward a new MacBook. 👍-1F3FB;

Dec 16, 2017 4:55 PM in response to jwoland

Hello, this response is a few years late, but I recently had this issue with my 2013 MacBook Pro and I was unsure where to post the answer to this question.

Symptoms:

My computer would start up, fans would run, Apple logo would light up and chime would sound, but no display. I could see the backlight of the screen was on (different color black on LED screen), but nothing would actually display on the screen.

Things I tried:

I tried all the hard resets and even went into the Apple Store to see if they could find a fix. The only thing they said they could do for me was replace the display (costing half the original price of the laptop or more).

What worked:

I opted to not purchase the display and I wanted to transfer all of my data from my laptop before making a decision.

I decided to hook up my laptop to an external display (another separate monitor) to see if I could at least view my files.

THIS FIXED MY SCREEN. As soon as the HDMI cable was plugged in and I restarted my computer (held down power button until display was clearly off, pressed power button again to start "normally") my display suddenly worked again.

NOTE: I had this issue again several months later, and my screen was once again saved by simply plugging in an HDMI cable.

I don't know how or why, but plugging in an HDMI cable saved me from buying a whole new laptop.

Jan 10, 2015 8:03 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks, Dominic, but I already tried that. I don't think that the keypad is operational, apart from the on/off button, because it doesn't respond to the SMC or PRAM reset steps. As I mentioned, the keypad remains dark after the chime, whereas on my wife's MacBook it's backlit once it turns on. Also, since writing that, I have fully charged the battery, as the power cord now shows a green light, so it doesn't appear to be a power issue.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

MacBook Air won't start - chimes but screen black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.