Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Storage getting used up randomly and battery usage high and phone getting hot

My iPhone 6 64Gb has about 21Gb of storage used. I am randomly getting 'storage almost full' warnings associated with high battery drain and the iPhone getting warm. Then dropping back to normal space and battery use. This seems to be a cyclic thing.

When I go in to the storage settings under usage, it shows all of my storage has been used and 0Gb remaining. I have force closed all of my apps and restarted which sometimes results in the storage returning to normal with 21Gb used and 31Gb free.

I have carried out a 'reset all settings' with the problem reoccurring.

If I connect my phone to iTunes while it is going through one of it's cycles, the iPhone summary screen shows that I have a huge amount of 'Documents and Data' which increases as my free storage drops.

This 'cycle' seems to be getting more frequent and increasing my battery drain.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I am in the process of carrying out a full restore to see if this fixes the problem.

Thanks

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 9, 2015 4:41 PM

9 replies

Jan 12, 2015 10:27 AM in response to ventura581

Same happening to me on my 5s. I only have about 1 gig free but 1-2x a day I get the full storage warning. I check settings and it says 0 bytes. As I keep going back and forth to the usage screen I see the available space jump up every second. Takes a few minutes to get back to normal. It's annoying since sometimes it happens while you try to take photos and you get the error message that you have no space available :-/ . Anyone have a solution? I'm on ios8.

Jan 13, 2015 1:46 AM in response to bgcoolv

I Have done a full restore and then restored from backup, still doing it. The next step would be to do a full restore as a new devise and reinstalling everything. Not too keen to do this with all of my apps I have installed. Might wait until the next update to see if this will still occur.

Good to hear this is not specific to the iPhone 6, I was worried it may be a hardware problem.

Feb 24, 2015 11:06 AM in response to bartokomous

I Finally nailed it down.

It is something to do with Safari bookmarks.

Go to iCloud in settings and turn off safari sync. If it is doing one of its cycles it may take ages to turn off. Delete all bookmarks, you may need to do this manually.

Restart.

It has something to do with bookmark sync and chrome. I would end up with multiple bookmark entries when I went to my PC and these would try and sync on my phone which sent it into a loop that used up my local storage.

Since turning safari off in iCloud sync and removing all bookmarks I have had no more problems

Mar 9, 2015 10:26 PM in response to tonyfp

If you are using chrome on your PC, check your bookmarks there also. I had multiple gmail accounts on the same PC and was getting multiple bookmarks for the same sites listed. The icloud extension keeps synching them and causing the issue. Whenever I deleted them they would come back. Remove one of the gmail accounts and just run 1 account and try and turn it back on again and sync.

May 29, 2015 9:03 AM in response to ventura581

Had this usage problem (minus the heat) and was fixing it using regular restores as others suggested here.

I noticed that this had something to do with iTunes Match. I didn't use iTunes Match when I was recently out of the country - and usage didn't go up. Theory: iTunes Match actually downloads and keeps a full copy of everything you 'stream', so it takes up mystery space on the device.

So I tried something much simpler than a restore: I switched iTunes Match off and on again. My usage dropped from 11.9 GB to 7.8GB in about 10 min.

Give it a shot.

iPhone 6 Storage getting used up randomly and battery usage high and phone getting hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.