Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd error message - Can't save new Pages docs

I use Pages a lot and know it pretty well. But today I got an odd error message I have never seen. It is stopping me from using Pages.

Today, when I attempted to create a new Pages document and save it to a folder in my Documents folder (or to my Desktop), I get an instant error message saying, "The file ‘FileName.pages' doesn’t exist." (see below). In effect, Pages will not allow me to save a new file. I can open older Pages files, edit them and save them. I just cannot create a new file and save it. I have restarted Pages and my computer multiple times with no effect on this message.

Anyone dealt with this before?

User uploaded file

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 16 GB Ram; 480 GB SSD

Posted on Jan 9, 2015 5:51 PM

13 replies

Jan 9, 2015 6:33 PM in response to AMCarter3

Yes. Quite a number of people.

I just responded to a long unanswered post with iWork for iCloud beta which may be a similar case:

Re: Why can't I save my Pages document?

I am trying to track down the numerous other cases that were posted here, in case there was a solution amongst those, but as usual am frustrated by this awful forum software.

Peter

Jan 9, 2015 11:29 PM in response to AMCarter3

There you are, Pages 5 can be relied on to not be relied on.

Not much comfort for your previous file though.

Steve Martin in The Jerk, when he sets off on his great adventure, is taught some essential life skills by his black family:

1. Lord loves a working man.

2. Don't trust Whitey.

3. If you catch it, see a doctor and get rid of it.

Were he to head off today with a Macbook Air under his arm we'd have to warn him about Pages 5 as well.

Peter

Feb 7, 2015 9:28 AM in response to AMCarter3

I have this problem from time to time and it doesn't just happen with a Pages save. I have also gotten this error in Numbers and TextEdit. It doesn't happen all the time and I have not been able to pinpoint the exact set of circumstances that cause it. I have always been able to save the file to my main Documents folder and then move it to the subfolder that I want it in but this is very annoying. I read a posting someplace that if you re-navigate in the save window from the top level down through your different subfolders you will then be able to do the save. I haven't tried this yet and it's really just another workaround and not a real solution to the problem.

I've sent in a feedback report to Apple and would encourage everyone to do the same. They don't respond to individual reports but if they receive enough of them someone might decide to look into it.

If anyone comes across a true solution please be sure to report it here. I will certainly be following this discussion.

Feb 7, 2015 3:57 PM in response to Paul142857

Paul142857 wrote:

I've sent in a feedback report to Apple and would encourage everyone to do the same. They don't respond to individual reports but if they receive enough of them someone might decide to look into it.

Wishful thinking. Not sure Apple is actively working on fixes for Pages 5. It is over 16 months now and they have only partially fixed a very short list of what is wrong and missing.

Now they are off and "upgrading" yet more OS X standards like iPhoto and Aperture.

Peter

Feb 9, 2015 3:29 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I don't believe this is a separate issue. I have the latest version of PAGES installed, am creating documents in it, but when I save them and later try to reopen them I am unable to do so. With older documents created in an older version of PAGES it allows me to update them which I do. But to open any newly recreated documents I get a window asking me to choose another way to open them - which is essentially defaulting to the latest installation of PAGES. It just takes me in a circle. Hope this makes sense.

Mar 27, 2015 8:39 AM in response to AMCarter3

Okay guys; Kevin at the Bridgestreet store in Huntsville, AL is a hero today. It's a permissions issue; at least, that's what solved the problem for me. (This is the second time in several months that I've had it happen and could not remember how I resolved it before.)

Go to the folder you're trying to save the doc into and hold down the control key/click and scroll down to "get info" and check your permissions at the bottom. Even if it says you can read & write, click padlock on bottom right/enter password and then click gearwheel and "apply to enclosed items."

Hope this works for you!

Odd error message - Can't save new Pages docs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.