Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I DISABLE text message forwarding between my iPad and iPhone?

I want to DISABLE text forwarding from my iPhone 5 (IOS 8.1.1) to my IPad 4 (IOS 8.1.1) but....I have already tried the following (so PLEASE do not make these suggestions):

I want to be able to text from my iPhone and those text messages (either SMS or iMessage) NOT go to my iPad. BUT, I want to also text from my iPad and those messages NOT go to my iPhone. I want the text messages to stay on each device independently.

Since I still want to be able to text from my iPad, I do NOT want to turn off iMessage. If I turn off iMessage, I cannot text from my iPad.

I disabled HANDOFF

I disabled TEXT MESSAGE FORWARDING (from my iPhone)

Creating a new Apple ID is not an option since there is other data that I need between devices.

Having followed these steps, I still cannot stop the texts from forwarding between devices. Any ideas?

Posted on Jan 9, 2015 6:32 PM

2 replies

Jan 9, 2015 6:44 PM in response to Texanterp

On your iPad, can you deselect your phone number as an option in Settings>Messages>Send and Receive at and then add an email address at which you can be reached? My iPod Touch is set up to use an email address (I have 6 email accounts) and the messages on my iPod do not sync with my other devices.

I Do have to say that it has been ages since I set up the Touch for Messages, but I am running iOS 8 on it. I can't remember if I had to sign out of messages and start all over again on the touch in order to deselect the iPhone number.

Jan 10, 2015 4:58 PM in response to Demo

I tried that, but the responses come back oddly. For example....me: "did you get this?" Response: "yes from email address". Not very clean and neat. Plus it took more time to send and receive. I don't understand why disabling text message forwarding doesn't work. What is the purpose of that function switch if it doesn't work?

How do I DISABLE text message forwarding between my iPad and iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.