Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipad2 mail suddenly quit receiving my email from my google account. i'm running 8.1.2. And yes, it worked just fine (for 4 years) until 2 days ago. Help, please!

I have an iPad 2, updated with 8.1.2. I have a google email account, which has been working perfectly for years now on this iPad. it is sync'd with my laptop. Two days ago, the iPad suddenly quit receiving any email. Bizarrely, it still lets me 'Send' email using the iPad. I have checked as many settings as i can imagine, and nothing seems to be out of whack.

I have done a reboot several times on the iPad. Didn't help. My last option is to try deleting my account from the iPad, and then re installing. Any other thoughts?

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 9, 2015 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 1:03 PM

Hi kathyfromcalgary,

Thanks for your question. Actually, deleting your Gmail account and re-adding it is one of the basic troubleshooting steps in our resource for the Mail app.

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/ts3899

You can try these basic steps to troubleshoot Mail on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you see a specific error message, follow the basic steps, then the steps for that error message. For example, you might see one of these messages:

• Cannot get mail
  • Unable to move message
  • Username or password is incorrect
  • Relaying denied
  • Email address rejected by the server

First, try these basic troubleshooting steps:

1. To make sure that you're connected to the Internet, open Safari and go to www.apple.com.
  2. Log in to your email provider's website to make sure that the account is active and the password is correct.
  3. Make sure your settings are correct using Mail Settings Lookup.
  4. Restart your iOS device.
  5. Delete the affected email account from your device.
    1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
    2. Tap the affected email account.
    3. Tap Delete Account.
    4. Add your account again.

Follow these steps for specific alerts.

"Cannot get mail"

Make sure you entered the correct password. If you enabled two-step verification through your email service provider, contact them to see if you need a special password for your iOS device.

"Unable to move message"

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar. Then tap your email.
  2. Tap Account.
  3. Tap Advanced.
  4. Tap Deleted Mailbox and make sure it's set to Trash.
  5. Tap Advanced > Account. Then tap Done.
    If you see the issue again, repeat steps 1 through 3, tap IMAP Path Prefix, then Inbox. After you make your changes, tap Account, then Done.

"Username or password is incorrect" with POP3 account

Before you check your email on your iOS device, close any other email programs and close any webmail sites you may have open on another computer.

To see if your account is a POP3 account, use the Mail Settings Lookup tool or follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tap the account.
  2. Look for the label POP ACCOUNT INFORMATION.

If your email provider offers IMAP, remove the POP3 account, then add the account with your provider's IMAP settings. POP3 communicates with one mail client at a time. If more than one mail client tries to connect, you might see a username or password error.

"Relaying denied" or "Email address rejected by the server" when you try to send email

This error indicates that either an email address is incorrect or your settings aren't correct for your current connection. Make sure the email address is correct for messages in the Outbox or try a different port:

If you're on a Wi-Fi network connected to the same network as your email domain, such as your Cable or DSL provider, try port 25:

2. Tap your email account, then tap Account.
  3. Scroll down and tap Outgoing Mail Server.
  4. Tap Primary Server, then tap Server Port.
  5. Delete the current port and enter 25.
  6. Tap Done.

When you connect to a cellular data or a different Wi-Fi network, you need to use an alternate port and authentication, if your email provider supports it. The most common alternate ports are 465 and 587. Check with your email provider for specific settings.

If you still can't send email, you can set up an alternate SMTP server.

Get help troubleshooting iCloud Mail.

Last Modified:

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2015 1:03 PM in response to kathyfromcalgary

Hi kathyfromcalgary,

Thanks for your question. Actually, deleting your Gmail account and re-adding it is one of the basic troubleshooting steps in our resource for the Mail app.

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/ts3899

You can try these basic steps to troubleshoot Mail on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you see a specific error message, follow the basic steps, then the steps for that error message. For example, you might see one of these messages:

• Cannot get mail
  • Unable to move message
  • Username or password is incorrect
  • Relaying denied
  • Email address rejected by the server

First, try these basic troubleshooting steps:

1. To make sure that you're connected to the Internet, open Safari and go to www.apple.com.
  2. Log in to your email provider's website to make sure that the account is active and the password is correct.
  3. Make sure your settings are correct using Mail Settings Lookup.
  4. Restart your iOS device.
  5. Delete the affected email account from your device.
    2. Tap the affected email account.
    3. Tap Delete Account.
    4. Add your account again.

Follow these steps for specific alerts.

"Cannot get mail"

Make sure you entered the correct password. If you enabled two-step verification through your email service provider, contact them to see if you need a special password for your iOS device.

"Unable to move message"

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar. Then tap your email.
  2. Tap Account.
  3. Tap Advanced.
  4. Tap Deleted Mailbox and make sure it's set to Trash.
  5. Tap Advanced > Account. Then tap Done.
    If you see the issue again, repeat steps 1 through 3, tap IMAP Path Prefix, then Inbox. After you make your changes, tap Account, then Done.

"Username or password is incorrect" with POP3 account

Before you check your email on your iOS device, close any other email programs and close any webmail sites you may have open on another computer.

To see if your account is a POP3 account, use the Mail Settings Lookup tool or follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tap the account.
  2. Look for the label POP ACCOUNT INFORMATION.

If your email provider offers IMAP, remove the POP3 account, then add the account with your provider's IMAP settings. POP3 communicates with one mail client at a time. If more than one mail client tries to connect, you might see a username or password error.

"Relaying denied" or "Email address rejected by the server" when you try to send email

This error indicates that either an email address is incorrect or your settings aren't correct for your current connection. Make sure the email address is correct for messages in the Outbox or try a different port:

If you're on a Wi-Fi network connected to the same network as your email domain, such as your Cable or DSL provider, try port 25:

2. Tap your email account, then tap Account.
  3. Scroll down and tap Outgoing Mail Server.
  4. Tap Primary Server, then tap Server Port.
  5. Delete the current port and enter 25.
  6. Tap Done.

When you connect to a cellular data or a different Wi-Fi network, you need to use an alternate port and authentication, if your email provider supports it. The most common alternate ports are 465 and 587. Check with your email provider for specific settings.

If you still can't send email, you can set up an alternate SMTP server.

Get help troubleshooting iCloud Mail.

Last Modified:

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

My ipad2 mail suddenly quit receiving my email from my google account. i'm running 8.1.2. And yes, it worked just fine (for 4 years) until 2 days ago. Help, please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.