Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does USB 3.0 work with my MacBook Pro?

Hey guys,

I have a MacBook Pro (13 Inch, Mid 2012). I have a USB which I bought 4-5 years ago which I think is USB 2.0 and it works well with my Mac. But I want to buy a USB 3.0 because of the faster speeds, etc. Does the USB 3.0 work with my Mac? and will it work with any other Mac/PC? Does it need a special port? or will it work with the USB 2.0 port? and what are the differences between these two?

Thanks,

Craig.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 8:32 AM

You have USB 3.0 ports on you MBP. You can plug both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices into it and they'll both work. Either will also plug into and work with USB 2.0 computers, both Mac and PC. If you're interested in all the details of USB 3.0 and how it and its connectors differ from USB 2.0, you can read through this discussion.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2015 8:32 AM in response to craigsequeira

You have USB 3.0 ports on you MBP. You can plug both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices into it and they'll both work. Either will also plug into and work with USB 2.0 computers, both Mac and PC. If you're interested in all the details of USB 3.0 and how it and its connectors differ from USB 2.0, you can read through this discussion.

Jan 10, 2015 8:46 AM in response to craigsequeira

craigsequeira wrote:

So, just like I have a 2GB USB 2.0 Standard-A plug which I can store my data from my Mac currently, Do they make USB 3.0 Standard-A plug to store data?

Judging from "2GB," you're referring to a USB Flash Drive. I don't think anything smaller than 8 GB Flash Drives are made any more. In either case, the plug in the drive is compatible with either type of socket and the prices on the USB 3.0 drives are coming down fast. Note that because of the way Solid State Drives (SSD) are made, the larger the drive, the faster it tends to be. Current USB 3.0 Flash Drives go up to 256GB. So don't expect such a drive to run at the potential speed of the USB 3.0 connection.

Does USB 3.0 work with my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.