Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone photos WILL NOT delete

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a Mac user! I user Windows! Please do not post suggestions for MAC users, I am NOT a Mac user.

I've tried to do this on several occasions, never have I had any success. I'm at the point where I'd like to take a hammer to my phone just to remove my ****** photos from my phone.

I have an iPhone 4S. I am on iOS 7, not iOS 8.

I have 6.5 gigs of space being wasted by pictures I've taken with the iPhone camera, all of which are backed up on my computer. I can't do ANYTHING with my phone because there's less than 100 megabytes free.

I have tried the following with ZERO luck.

- Used the "Photos" app on the phone to remove each and every individual photo. My photo stream, albums, etc. are completely empty.

- Turned the phone off and on, twice, after deleting every photo manually.

- Syncing and re-syncing the phone with iTunes. The photos are still not there in my photos app or camera roll, as expected.

- Checking the box in the "Photos" section on iTunes and selecting an empty folder, then syncing. iTunes warned me all photos on the phone would be removed. I told it yes, do it. Still 6.5 gigs being used by "Photo Library" on my iPhone.

As I said, the photos are not there when I look in the Photos app or my Camera roll. Usage section of iPhone settings still reports 6.5 gigs used by "Photo Library." Nothing has worked. I'm extremely irritated with the blatant inability to manage data on my phone. Please, someone save my phone from a hammer. I like iPhone. I don't want to go back to an Android phone.

iPhone 4S, Windows 8

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 8:56 AM

If you have all the data you want from the phone backed up - can you consider doing restore as new?

25 replies

Jan 11, 2015 3:02 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Like I said, it's all right there. It's in plain English. I'm sorry, but it cannot be put any clearer. It is clearly stated in my post, "Usage section of iPhone settings still reports 6.5 gigs used by 'Photo Library.'"

I also fail to see how "resetting" and powering off are different. They achieve the same thing: power-cycling the phone. Holding the power switch and home button does the same thing as holding the power switch and swiping to turn off the phone, except I don't have to manually turn the phone back on myself.

Despite that, I did try that after you mentioned it and, unsurprisingly, nothing changed.

Jan 11, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Ar7ific1al

I refuse to deal with your attitude and refusal to complete the necessary user troubleshooting. Why don't you call Apple and when they ask you to perform basic user troubleshooting, just refuse and see how far it gets you. I suggest you make a Genius Bar appointment and just make arrangements to return your device. That should eliminate all of your iPhone concerns.

Jan 11, 2015 1:15 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I don't consider a factory reset to be troubleshooting. Of course that'll fix the problem, because the entire phone will be wiped. What attitude is it you think I am giving? I simply said I refuse to resort to resetting the phone to its factory state, as all I wish to do is remove my photos from the phone so I can have some free space. If not accepting that as a solution is rude or something, then I'm sorry.

iPhone photos WILL NOT delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.