Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i upgrade iMovie 6.0.3 to run on yosemite?

I recently upgraded to yosemite and all my iMovie projects on 6.0.3 will not run. Can I upgrade them?

iMovie '08, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 9:57 AM

14 replies

Jan 10, 2015 7:29 PM in response to rnm456

iMovie HD 06 works fine with Yosemite, you just have to know the little trick. I have newer versions of iMovie but much prefer iMovie HD 06.

Yosemite has a bug that incorrectly identifies iMovie 6 (a.k.a. iMovie HD) as not compatible. iMovie HD works fine with Yosemite.

Below is a workaround that many use until this bug is fixed.

Find iMovie HD in your applications folder.

Right click on it, and select “Show Package Contents”.

You will then find a folder named "Contents”. Open it. Then open the folder named "MacOS”.

There you will find "iMovie HD". Double-click on this, and iMovie HD will launch.

Then create an alias. iMovie HD starts directly from the alias.

Please report the bug to Apple, the more reports, the sooner it will get fixed.

Feb 7, 2015 1:07 PM in response to Király

Has anyone used this trick for serious editing with iMovie HD 6 under Yosemite? I'm getting ready to do that and would rather not lose hours of work because of some incompatibility that has not been found/tested yet.

I'm not having any difficulties with iMovie HD 06 and Yosemite. However, there have been a few reports of problems, (that I have never experienced). I know some people keep a separate partition on their hard drive with Mavericks. Regardless, it never hurts to have a previous version of your OS available.

Jul 19, 2015 11:58 AM in response to rnm456

I just bought a new iMac, and I used Migration assistant to move everything from my 7-year-old iMac to the new one. It didn't move iMovie HD 6 because it was thought to be incompatible, only showing an empty folder with the same name on the new machine. I moved it to the new machine manually.

Yosemite still will not allow it to be run directly. I left an icon in the dock, but I still have to go through the steps above to get it to run.

how do i upgrade iMovie 6.0.3 to run on yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.