Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto won't open at all

Since upgrading to Yosemite (Ver10.10.1) I have lost the use of Aperture.

I have read the explanations and understand that I need an upgrade. Fine.

Since I am unwilling to pay a "ransom" to edit photos on a program I have already purchased I have been using iPhoto to access these photos.

That was, until to day.

Now I cannot open any photo, even ones that I just downloaded, using iPhoto.

I cannot even open iPhoto.

When I attempt to do so I get the following message

User uploaded file

I am unable to tell what version of iPhoto I am using because this is all it shows

User uploaded file

I have downloaded the iPhoto library manager but it cannot open the library either.

Thoughts?

iPhoto '11, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 10:58 AM

11 replies

Jan 10, 2015 11:04 AM in response to Back2PC

There is no "ransom" - when you upgrade the OS often other software must also be upgraded - sometimes these are free updates and sometimes paid upgrades

What version of Aperture do you have? What version of iPhoto ? BTW - software versions are easily available by going to the application in the Applications folder and right clicking on them and using the get info command from the resulting menu - the info window includes the version

LN

Jan 10, 2015 11:07 AM in response to Back2PC

I have read the explanations and understand that I need an upgrade. Fine.

Which version of Aperture do you have?

If it is Aperture 3, the update to Aperture 3.6 should be free. You may need the help of Apple Support, but the update from any Aperture 3 version to Aperture 3.6 is free.

To see the iPhoto version, select the iPhoto icon in the Applications folder and press the key combination ⌘I (for File > Get Info).

User uploaded file

Jan 10, 2015 11:38 AM in response to LarryHN

First thank you for the response and thanks to leonie for the response.

Second the definition of ransom is "Ransom is the practice of holding a prisoner or item to extort money or property to secure their release, or it may refer to the sum of money involved"

Apple is holding an item, my raw files, until I pay them. If I simply could not use the program without upgrading it that would be one thing, but they are denying me access to something that belongs to me.

I have uninstalled Aperture hoping that would solve the problem. Naive I know but I didn't give it a lot of thought. The message I get from iPhoto library is that it is version 2.1.4 so I must have had Aperture version 2.

I have iPhoto version 9.6

Thanks again.

Jan 10, 2015 11:42 AM in response to Back2PC

so reinstall it from the original source

That might solve hour problem

ANd for getting help sticking to facts and leaving out the wild editorial comments is good - that just adds bulk and confusion and does not help in resolving the issue in any way

BTW - your RAW files are easily available without either iphoto or Aperture - you extreme comments are not only counterproductive but are simply incorrect - to get you RAW files (destroying your iPhoto/Aperture library beyond repair simply right click on the iphoto library, show package contents and drag the masters foler to the desktop and do what ever you want with your RAW files - no one is "Holding them for Ransom" or restricting you access in any way

LN

Jan 10, 2015 12:20 PM in response to LarryHN

Lots of good info thanks again.

I tried to access the files before but was unable to and a quick web search didn't help. I followed your advice and now I have my raw files.

And I assume, as you say, that the libraries are now damaged since I have the masters on my desk top. At least I can access them.

I am not sure reloading Aperture will help since it is an older version that does not appear to run under Yosemite.

I may use it on my other iMac which I haven't upgraded and copy the files over there.

Main problem solved.

But I still don't understand why, with iPhoto version 9.6 installed, I can't open a jpg I have downloaded from the web.

Does iPhoto look at the Aperture library even when I am opening a photo for the first time?

To be clear I am downloading non copyrighted photos from the internet, saving them to the desktop and trying to view them by using "open with" and selecting iPhoto.

Jan 10, 2015 12:27 PM in response to Back2PC

The message I get from iPhoto library is that it is version 2.1.4 so I must have had Aperture version 2.

I doubt that. Since you previously could open the Aperture library with iPhoto, you must have had at least Aperture 3.3. The unified iPhoto-Aperture library format has been introduced with Aperture 3.3. and iPhoto 9.3, see: Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

Do you see Aperture on your Purchases tab of the AppStore?

Jan 10, 2015 12:43 PM in response to LarryHN

Ok it's starting to make sense now.

I have never tried to use it to open a jpg before today since I only use iPhoto for quick editing for posts to web pages etc.

The version of aperture that I have is not listed among my purchases at the app store. I bought it from a local Apple store on DVD/CD. I assume that is why it is not there. My last download of iPhoto is there however.

If I move all my masters to the desktop and then delete the libraries and reinstall iPhoto can I start over?

At this point I can not even download photos from my camera since iPhoto tries to open when I plug in the camera.

Jan 11, 2015 9:19 AM in response to Back2PC

You can start with a new iphoto Library without deleting the old libraries.

Hold down the alt/options key while you are double clicking the iPhoto icon. Then select "create New" from the library chooser panel. That will make the new, empty iPhoto Library your current library and you can import into it.

To rescue the old library, try to rebuild it with iPhoto Library Manager:

Fat Cat Software – iPhoto Library Manager

This will rescue most items - photos,events, albums, edits, keywords, but not the products like books and cards.

iPhoto won't open at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.