Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I switched from a dell to a Mac. I put all my videos from dropbox onto my passport. Is there a way to use my passport that I used with my dell now using with a Mac without losing all of my data?

Switched my passport from Dell to Mac. Can I use with my new Mac without losing all of my data?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Passport ultra

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 5:42 PM

3 replies

Jan 10, 2015 8:20 PM in response to Nbents

The Mac can Read drives in many formats. Just plug the drive in and it should be recognized and mounted. Windows New Technology File System (ntfs) drives can be Read, but not written, without add-on software. Exfat drives can be Read and Written.

In contrast, Windows can read Windows drives. It does not believe there are any other Operating Systems.

Jan 11, 2015 1:56 AM in response to Nbents

It is likely formatted NTFS. To not lose anything and be able to write to the disk you have two choices:

- copy everything to your Mac and then format the drive is Mac OS Extended (journaled) format and then move the files back to the external drive

- Purchases an app which allows a Mac to write to NTFS like:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

I switched from a dell to a Mac. I put all my videos from dropbox onto my passport. Is there a way to use my passport that I used with my dell now using with a Mac without losing all of my data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.