Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Not working for Bootcamp Windows 8.1

I have Macbook Pro Early 2011.

I installed Windows 8.1 using Bootcamp, and everything works expect for sound/audio.

When I went to device manager, it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)."

When I installed Windows 8.1, I used the Microsoft's USB media creator tool to create a Windows 8.1 USB installed.

I also tried updating all of Intel's drivers...

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Windows 8

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 9:17 PM

22 replies

Jan 11, 2015 10:57 AM in response to Loner T

I don't have "Audio Inputs and Output" listed under device manager.

I used EFI method to install Windows 8. I don't have blank DVD to burn Windows 8 onto. I didn't use Bootcamp to partition my hard drive. I just created 3 HFS partitions (one of Mac, one for WIndows 8, and one for storage). Then I installed OSX onto the first partition. WHen Installing WIndows 8, I formatted the second partition to NTFS then installed Windows 8..

Jan 11, 2015 11:17 AM in response to jaib90

The 2011 Macs are preUEFI so they do not expose all devices at the EFI level, but they do in the CSM-BIOS layer that Bootcamp uses. If you want your Audio devices to show up, you will need to use CSM-BIOS (and hence Bootcamp). If you already have 3 partitions, they are not supported under the CSM-BIOS Bootcamp installation.

EFI and CSM-BIOS are mutually exclusive methods.

Jan 11, 2015 12:55 PM in response to jaib90

Edit:

I deleted all partitions and reinstalled Yosemite on a single partition. Now when I open boot Camp assistant, I don't get the option to create a Windows 8 USB installer from an ISO file. I have the option to "Install Windows 7 or later version" but when I select that I get an error saying, "The installer disc could not be found"..

Jan 11, 2015 4:08 PM in response to jaib90

jaib90 wrote:

I deleted all partitions and reinstalled Yosemite on a single partition. Now when I open boot Camp assistant, I don't get the option to create a Windows 8 USB installer from an ISO file.

Was this option available previously without you having to modify the Bootcamp info.plist?

The Early 2011 models have Model Identifiers (from How to identify MacBook Pro models - Apple Support) as

13-in = 8,1

15-in = 8,2

17-in = 8,3

and from BC Info.plist

<key>PreUSBBootSupportedModels</key>

<array>

<string>MacBook7,1</string>

<string>MacBookAir3,2</string>

<string>MacBookPro8,3</string>

<string>MacPro5,1</string>

<string>Macmini4,1</string>

<string>iMac12,2</string>

I have the option to "Install Windows 7 or later version" but when I select that I get an error saying, "The installer disc could not be found"..

This message implies that you need to use the built-in Optical drive and DVD installation media.

Jan 11, 2015 4:35 PM in response to Loner T

I was able to create a USB installer by modifying the Info.plist for Boot Camp Assistant. After, I used Boot Camp Assistant to partition the hard drive. It automatically restarted the computer, but didn't boot from the USB drive. It took me a black screen saying "no bootable device" found... I turned off Mac and restarted holding down the ALT/OPTION key. I see the USB installer, but its is labeled as "EFI"... I was unable to install WIndows because it give me an error about the drive being hybrid (MBR/GPT)...

Why is Boot Camp not creating a non-EFI USB installer?

Jan 11, 2015 5:39 PM in response to jaib90

jaib90 wrote:

I was able to create a USB installer by modifying the Info.plist for Boot Camp Assistant.

Then you will need to repeat this after you re-installed Yosemite.

After, I used Boot Camp Assistant to partition the hard drive. It automatically restarted the computer, but didn't boot from the USB drive. It took me a black screen saying "no bootable device" found...

BCA sets the Mac NVRAM to boot from the Optical drive, but it has no Installation media, hence no bootable device error.

I see the USB installer, but its is labeled as "EFI"...

This is not the same, and you error is proof of that.

I was unable to install WIndows because it give me an error about the drive being hybrid (MBR/GPT)...

Because BCA uses a Hybrid MBR to install Windows.

Why is Boot Camp not creating a non-EFI USB installer?

Is there a need for one? You can create a GPT partition via Disk Utility on a Mac, or use Diskpart on Windows, or parted/Gparted in Linux. Put in appropriate installation media, USB, DVD or anything else and boot from it, and point to this partition. This entire procedure requires a UEFI compliant machine, which a 2011 MBP is not.

I have W8.1 on a Late 2013 rMBP using EFI without using the BCA. I did install the BC drivers for supporting the Mac hardware, which is expected.

Jan 11, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Loner T

So does this mean that my only option is the Optical Drive method if I want to do a non-EFI install of Windows 8?

If I do USB install of Windows 8, I will be forced to have a EFI install of Windows 8, thus leading my Audio/Sound to not work?

I don't mind having the Audio/Sound not working, however with EFI install of Windows 8, I noticed another issuse:

- Restarting from Windows 8 into Windows 8 gives me the "No bootable device" error

- When selecting Windows 8 prition from within OSX using the "Startup Disk" method also give me "No bootable device" error

To resolve the above issues, I have to use the ALT/OPTION key method to explicitly select the Windows 8 partition to boot into.

Mar 5, 2015 9:57 PM in response to jaib90

apple disallowed users to boot 3rd party(aka Windows or Linux) BIOS/MBR based installer from USB, if the model shipped with a optical drive.

I have a thought(untested though) that is go boot from UEFI/GPT based USB(this is allowed, I've tested, on a Macbook Pro 13" 2011 with optical drive), and deploy an Windows and make it MBR bootable, then the Boot Camp drivers would work.

steps as below:

1) boot into OS X, and provision BOOTCAMP partition in BCA -> this creates a partition in Hybrid partition table, named BOOTCAMP

2) get a Windows 8.1 iso and extract it into an empty FAT32 UEFI/GPT USB drive -> better to do it on a Windows OS, I've tried success extract on OS X, but fail to boot on some USB drive, but same iso same drive work under Windows, no knowing why

3) plug the USB drive into Mac and press opt to boot from USB(showing an EFI logo) -> and DONT do partitioning here

4) press shift+F10, to open a terminal

-----------

diskpart -> enter disk utility

list disk -> you should see your internel drive and USB drive here, assuming internal numbered 0 here

sel disk 0 -> select your internal drive

list part -> see what your partition scheme is, you should see several partitions, one of them named BOOTCAMP, the one you created in BCA, assuming numbered 4 here

sel part 4 -> select the BOOTCAMP to be processed, this is the Hybrid partition, Windows treats it as MBR and wont allow you to install in UEFI booting

format fs=ntfs label=Windows quick -> format it into a NTFS file system to be deploy later

assign -> assign a letter for it, then we could deploy

list vol -> here, you should see the newly formated FS and your USB, assuming the Windows FS partition named D: and USB named C:

exit -> quit, partition has done

-----------

now try deploy OS image and make it bootable in Hybrid MBR

===========

dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\sources\install.wim /applydir:D:\ /index:1 -> note, /index:1 means deploy 1st img from the install.wim, you could see all imgs by dism /get-imageinfo /imagefile:path\to\install.wim

===========

now the Windows system has deployed into the BOOTCAMP partition, next step is gonna make it bootable in MBR mode

PLSEASE BE NOTE, I DIDN'T TESTED ON A MAC BEFORE

I only tried deploy BIOS/MBR based windows from a UEFI/GPT PC, and it worked for me, not sure about MAC, I just guess it should work

bcdboot D:\windows /s D: /f BIOS -> this will tell Windows installer to put BIOS/MBR boot critical files into D: root

now reboot your machine to verify if it could boot from Windows partition :-)

wpeutil reboot -> and you could unplug your USB and press opt

I refer to linked below and they said Windows: MBR takes precedence in hybrid configuration.

so I guess this method might work, again, I didn't tested on Mac, but PC works.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

Audio Not working for Bootcamp Windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.