Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete old apps from iTunes. 'Delete' greyed out

I would like to delete a number of old apps from my iTunes. However, when I go to the 'Apps' tab and highlight the app it doesn't delete. Also, when I go into 'Edit', the 'Delete' button is greyed out. I have tried logging out of my iTunes account and logging back in, switching the computer on and off and also by trying with both plugging in both my iPhone and iPad. Nothing works! I would much appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

iPad Mini 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 9:57 PM

13 replies

Mar 10, 2017 8:42 AM in response to glenn.watson

This is how I did it on OS Sierra 10.12.3

1. Go to your library on your computer in iTunes

User uploaded file

2. Select the app you want to delete and right click or control click on the app

User uploaded file

3. Choose delete from library

4. Click on delete app (check the do not ask me again) if you want.

User uploaded file

5. You have the option to keep the files or move to trash make your choice.

User uploaded file

6. Th app should have disappeared from your iTunes Library.

Jan 12, 2015 11:13 AM in response to bickyk

Hi bickyk,

Welcome to the Support Communities! The article below explains how to delete apps from your Mac, iPhone or iPad. On your Mac, you should be able to click on the app to select it, and then press Delete on your keyboard.

If for some reason you are not able to delete the app from your computer, you can hide it instead. Click on the link below for complete details. I've highlighted the key points for you.

How to delete content you've downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, or Mac App Store - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5772

You can delete items that you bought from the iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, or Mac App Store from your iOS device, Mac, or PC. Because Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) plays content from the cloud, you don't need to delete items from your Apple TV.

Before you delete an item, make sure you can download it again. If you can't or need to pay to download it again, back up the item before you delete it.

After you delete an item, it might still be visible if you can download it again from iTunes in the Cloud. The Download User uploaded file icon will appear next to these items. You can hide items available in iCloud and purchases from the Mac App Store.

Apps

Open the section below for the device you're using.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Tap and hold the app you want to delete.
  2. The apps will begin to jiggle.
  3. Tap the X on the app.

Mac or PC

1. Open iTunes.
  2. From the Library pop-up menu, choose Apps.
  3. Click the app you want to delete.
  4. Press Delete on your keyboard.

Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4928

Hide your purchases

If you hide an item you purchased in the Mac App Store, you won't get update notifications for it, and you won't see it on your Purchases page. If you're using Family Sharing, hidden items will also be hidden from your family members.

Use these steps on OS X Mountain Lion or later:

1. Open the Mac App Store.
  2. Choose Store > Sign In, then enter your Apple ID and password.
  3. Click Purchases.
  4. Right-click the item that you want to hide and choose Hide Purchase. A prompt will ask if you're sure that you want to hide the item.
  5. Click the Hide Purchase button. The item will fade. The item below it, if there is one, will replace it in the list.User uploaded file

Use these steps on OS X Lion:

1. Open the Mac App Store.
  2. Choose Store > Sign In, then enter your Apple ID and password.
  3. Click Purchases.
  4. Locate the item that you want to hide.
  5. Click the X to the right of that item. The item will fade. The item below it, if there is one, will replace it in the list.
    User uploaded file

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Jun 11, 2015 3:11 PM in response to bickyk

To get rid of apps that you no longer wish to use and do not want on your iTunes software on a PC:

Load iTunes program.

Click on the apps icon in the upper left corner of screen (just below File, Edit, View, Controls, etc).

Click on the app and hit the Delete key on your keyboard.

Confirm Delete App

Click to Move to Recycle Bin

Exit iTunes and empty your recycle bin and it should be forever......

Can't delete old apps from iTunes. 'Delete' greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.