Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't i delete music on ios 8?

i have ios 8.1.2 and the option to swipe across the album or song is not available. even going though settings and usage the music app isn't there. is there any easy way to delete my music?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 8:34 PM

21 replies

Jan 11, 2015 1:07 PM in response to jdarb11

The swipe works for me on iOS 8.1.2 and Music shows up in Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage.

Have you tried restarting or resetting your iPhone?

Restart: Press On/Off button until the Slide to Power Off slider appears, select Slide to Power Off and, after It shuts down, press the On/Off button until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Press the Home and On/Off buttons at the same time and hold them until the Apple logo appears (about 10-15 seconds).

No data will be lost.

Mar 9, 2015 11:04 PM in response to jdarb11

People, I haven't read all the comments but I think I have actually found the solution, for iTunes match users at least.

All of our music is in iCloud and we listen to them via streaming. The old iTunes match would stream AND download but now it doesn't do that any more. It must be doing some kind of cache. Anyway, problem I had was songs 'looked' like they were on my iPhone but they weren't!

So, turn airplane mode on and open Music app. You probably will see some songs if they've been played recently. Make a note of them. Switch your data connection back on and all your music should appear. Go to one of your noted songs and actually download it now, click the cloud symbol. It will download onto your device. Once it has done this, switch airplane mode BACK ON to do a test. This song should still be there, however now you can swipe on it and delete it from your device.

To help also take note of number of songs actually on your device as you go along. You will see they DO delete.

Without crying like a baby, we need to just think why Apple have done this? Took the simplest of processes and made it so difficult. The masses won't come onto forums or book a genius appointment, they will just remember their last iphone wasn't a large enough capacity and get the higher storage, higher priced device next time. :-( :-(

Mar 9, 2015 11:11 PM in response to Blaney84

Just so iTunes Match users are aware, deleting music from settings / manage usage / music is now, how do I put this, , , gone. Forever, gone, disappeared, never to return. That's what Apple store workers in the Newcastle United Kingdom store told me.

I found this fix for myself out of frustration.

And as I said before if someone has already posted this fix then well done!!! I just hadn't come across it

Apr 12, 2015 6:06 PM in response to jdarb11

I am having the SAME issue and can not find the answer. I have reset, rebooted and restored my phone. I'm manually adding music from iTunes even. In iTunes, it shows my music on my phone as empty and in settings, general, storage, usage, music it shows I have no songs on there but in my music app on my phone (iPhone 6), I have like 5 random songs showing up. The iCloud sign is not next to them, they are showing as downloaded. I can't delete them swiping left to right or right to left. They aren't even downloaded to my mac. This is very frustrating!! Help anyone!

Apr 21, 2015 10:25 AM in response to jdarb11

I'm on an iPad Air running 8.3 and I had the exact same problem. It'll probably work for anything past 8, but no promises. Update your software if you haven't. Anyway. Here's how you fix it.

1. Go to Settings.

2. Scroll down to the Music tab. It's the sixth block down. You can't delete it, so it shound be there.

3. Go to the "Show All Music" button and turn it on.

4. Go into the Music app and download all the songs you want to delete. Just hit the little iCloud button all the way on the right.

5. Wait for them to download.

6. Go back to the Music tab in Settings and switch "Show All Music" off.

7. Go back to the Music app and swipe left on songs you want to delete (that you downloaded). Boom, delete button shows up.

I'm not quite sure why they can't be deleted otherwise. I guess they're technically still available even becsuse you downloaded them before? Either way, this worked for me. You can always go back and repeat the instructions to delete other songs.

-Matt

May 5, 2015 6:50 PM in response to MattEmAngel

Yep, that worked. This is nuts. I have some old Green Day that blares at me everytime my phone connects to my car. Deleting is a nightmare. I have a new ipHone six that I can't use for music because it's such a pain in the A... . I repeat. This is NUTS.

why can't i delete music on ios 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.