Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on Mac claims all contacts are not register with iMessage

I've been reading through the forms and this seems to be an issue that has stumped people. I thought I would contribute a sparse summary of all the things I have tried. Here is what is happening:

System: Yosemite 10.10.1 on MacBook Air mid-2011

Behavior:

1) iMessage successfully activates on the MacBook Air

2) Almost all (except for usually the first contact tried) returns as "____ is not registered with iMessage"

3) For any old conversations, where the Messages app still believes the user is registered, all messages are not delivered

4) iMessage works on an iPhone without issue

Things I have tried:

1). Turning off iMessage of all devices and then enabling in all possible orders (plus resetting network preferences on iPhone)

2). Checking in Contacts that My Card is properly configured.

3). Resetting NVRAM

4). Deleting relevant keys from Keychain Access and relevant .plist files, etc.

5). Making a second partition and using a fresh version of Yosemite (10.10.1).

6). Making a second partition and using a fresh version of Mavericks (10.9.5).

7). Different Wi-Fi networks.

For all things I have tried, the behavior is the same. What worse, it that his behavior holds for TWO different AppleIDs. Both of these AppleIDs work fine on another machine (a MacBook Pro running Yosemite).

It feels like Apple has blacklisted this MacBook Air for iMessage. Does this happen? The AppleID is currently in debug mode with Apple, so maybe they will figure it out, but it seems like the server just hates with specific MacBook Air.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 2:10 AM

2 replies

Jan 11, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Time Memorial

HI,

There are four "fixes" for this.

1) Make sure the System Preferences > iCloud or Internet Account of your choice is syncing the Contacts App/Address Book.

2) In the Contacts App > Preferences > Account make sure only one Account is syncing.

3) In the Menus > Card > Show my Card make sure this has your details.

And 4) it does appear that the server end "blocks" certain Macs even if the the Apple ID works on Other computers and on iOS devices.

These constitute the "first 4 error messages" FaceTime, Game Center, Messages: Troubleshooting sign in issues - Apple Support

The one I call Error 5 produces this Error message:-

User uploaded file

It can only be fixed by Contacting Support.

It also has the some symptoms in that the ID works for iCloud, iTunes and in iMessages on other computers and iOS devices meaning it is only the acceptance by the iMessages Servers that is an Issue (it is somewhat confirmed by the actions reported by the Support Staff who say they are resetting the iMessages servers).

We then get to your issue.

Seeing all Contacts as Not Registered suggests you are getting some sort of contact with the server even if it is not a full login (as you are getting this and the Not Delivered feedback).

This in turn suggests it is similar to the Error Message in the pic in that this also suggests the app gets to the Server but is rejected.

Whilst there do seem to be similar errors that can be solved locally the final solution is to Contact Apple Support and have then check.

Level 1 People tend to be script led into fitting you into Software or Hardware issues (Cost involved if Apple Care has run Out).

Ask to speak to a Level 2 person. One, they are more knowledgeable and two, Account/ID issues are free to fix and it will not cost them anything to look.

User uploaded file

8:45 pm Sunday; January 11, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages on Mac claims all contacts are not register with iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.