Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to transfer files from PC to iPad air 2?

Hi,

How do I transfer files from my PC (Dell) to my new iPad Air 2?

I downloaded iTunes to my PC but don't know what to do next.

Thanks,

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 1:03 PM

Hi ToymanTLV,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Congratulations on the purchase of your new iPad Air! What files are you trying to copy to your iPad? Music? Contacts? Calendars? Or documents like Word, Excel, etc.?

Take a look at the "Getting Started" section of the iPad User Guide below. Using iCloud and the new iCloud Drive may be the best way to get your documents and information from your PC to your iPad. I've highlighted the key information below for you. Click on the link for more details.

iPad User Guide
http://help.apple.com/ipad/8/

iCloud

iCloud offers free mail, contacts, calendar, and other features that you can set up simply by signing in to iCloud with your Apple ID, then making sure that the features you want to use are turned on.

Set up iCloud. Go to Settings > iCloud. Create an Apple ID if needed, or use your existing one.

iCloud stores your photos and videos, documents, music, calendars, contacts, and more. Content stored in iCloud is pushed wirelessly to your other iOS devices and computers signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID.

iCloud is available on devices with iOS 5 or later, on Mac computers with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later, and on PCs with iCloud for Windows 4.0 (Windows 7 or Windows 8 is required).

Note: iCloud may not be available in all areas, and iCloud features may vary by area. For more information, go to www.apple.com/icloud.

iCloud features include:

• Music, Movies, TV Shows, Apps, and Books: Automatically get iTunes purchases on all your devices set up with iCloud, or download previous iTunes music and TV show purchases for free, anytime. With an iTunes Match subscription, all your music, including music you’ve imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than the iTunes Store, can also be stored in iCloud and played on demand. See iCloud and iTunes Match. Download previous App Store and iBooks Store purchases to iPad for free, anytime.

• Photos: Use iCloud Photo Library beta to store all your photos and videos in iCloud, and access them from any iOS 8 device using the same Apple ID. Use iCloud Photo Sharing to share photos and videos with just the people you choose, and let them add photos, videos, and comments. See iCloud Photo Library beta. See iCloud Photo Sharing.

• Family Sharing: Up to six family members can share their purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store. Pay for family purchases with the same credit card and approve kids’ spending right from a parent’s device. Plus, share photos, a family calendar, and more. See Family Sharing.

• iCloud Drive: Safely store your presentations, spreadsheets, PDFs, images, and other documents in iCloud, and access them from your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Mac, or PC. See About iCloud Drive.

• Documents in the Cloud: For iCloud-enabled apps, keep documents and app data up to date across all your devices set up with iCloud.

• Mail, Contacts, Calendars: Keep your mail, contacts, calendars, notes, and reminders up to date across all your devices.

• Safari Tabs: See the tabs you have open on your other iOS devices and OS X computers. See Browse the web.

• Backup: Back up iPad to iCloud automatically when connected to power and Wi-Fi. See Back up iPad.

• Find My iPad: Locate your iPad on a map, display a message, play a sound, lock the screen, temporarily suspend or permanently remove your credit and debit cards in Passbook & Apple Pay settings used for Apple Pay, or remotely wipe your iPad data. Find My iPad includes Activation Lock, which requires your Apple ID and password in order to turn off Find My iPad or erase your device. Your Apple ID and password are also required before anyone can reactivate your iPad. See Find My iPad.

• Find My Friends: Keep track of your family and friends (when connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network) using the Find My Friends app. Download the free app from the App Store.

• iCloud Keychain: Keep your saved passwords and credit card information up to date on your devices. See iCloud Keychain.

You must have an iCloud account and be signed into iCloud to use Apple Pay. See Apple Pay.

With iCloud, you get a free email account and 5 GB of storage for your mail, documents, photos, and backups. Your purchased music, apps, TV shows, and books, as well as your photo streams, don’t count against your available space.

• Upgrade your iCloud storage. Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage, then tap Change Storage Plan. For information about upgrading your iCloud storage, see iCloud Help.

• View and download previous purchases, or get purchases shared by your family.

• iTunes Store: You can access your purchased songs and videos in the Music and Videos apps. Or, in the iTunes Store, tap Purchased User uploaded file.

• App Store: Go to the App Store, then tap Purchased User uploaded file.

• iBooks Store: Go to iBooks, tap Store, then tap Purchased User uploaded file.

• Turn on Automatic Downloads for music, apps, or books. Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store.

For more information about iCloud, see www.apple.com/icloud. For support information, see www.apple.com/support/icloud.

Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.
http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2015 1:03 PM in response to ToymanTLV

Hi ToymanTLV,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Congratulations on the purchase of your new iPad Air! What files are you trying to copy to your iPad? Music? Contacts? Calendars? Or documents like Word, Excel, etc.?

Take a look at the "Getting Started" section of the iPad User Guide below. Using iCloud and the new iCloud Drive may be the best way to get your documents and information from your PC to your iPad. I've highlighted the key information below for you. Click on the link for more details.

iPad User Guide
http://help.apple.com/ipad/8/

iCloud

iCloud offers free mail, contacts, calendar, and other features that you can set up simply by signing in to iCloud with your Apple ID, then making sure that the features you want to use are turned on.

Set up iCloud. Go to Settings > iCloud. Create an Apple ID if needed, or use your existing one.

iCloud stores your photos and videos, documents, music, calendars, contacts, and more. Content stored in iCloud is pushed wirelessly to your other iOS devices and computers signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID.

iCloud is available on devices with iOS 5 or later, on Mac computers with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later, and on PCs with iCloud for Windows 4.0 (Windows 7 or Windows 8 is required).

Note: iCloud may not be available in all areas, and iCloud features may vary by area. For more information, go to www.apple.com/icloud.

iCloud features include:

• Music, Movies, TV Shows, Apps, and Books: Automatically get iTunes purchases on all your devices set up with iCloud, or download previous iTunes music and TV show purchases for free, anytime. With an iTunes Match subscription, all your music, including music you’ve imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than the iTunes Store, can also be stored in iCloud and played on demand. See iCloud and iTunes Match. Download previous App Store and iBooks Store purchases to iPad for free, anytime.

• Photos: Use iCloud Photo Library beta to store all your photos and videos in iCloud, and access them from any iOS 8 device using the same Apple ID. Use iCloud Photo Sharing to share photos and videos with just the people you choose, and let them add photos, videos, and comments. See iCloud Photo Library beta. See iCloud Photo Sharing.

• Family Sharing: Up to six family members can share their purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store. Pay for family purchases with the same credit card and approve kids’ spending right from a parent’s device. Plus, share photos, a family calendar, and more. See Family Sharing.

• iCloud Drive: Safely store your presentations, spreadsheets, PDFs, images, and other documents in iCloud, and access them from your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Mac, or PC. See About iCloud Drive.

• Documents in the Cloud: For iCloud-enabled apps, keep documents and app data up to date across all your devices set up with iCloud.

• Mail, Contacts, Calendars: Keep your mail, contacts, calendars, notes, and reminders up to date across all your devices.

• Safari Tabs: See the tabs you have open on your other iOS devices and OS X computers. See Browse the web.

• Backup: Back up iPad to iCloud automatically when connected to power and Wi-Fi. See Back up iPad.

• Find My iPad: Locate your iPad on a map, display a message, play a sound, lock the screen, temporarily suspend or permanently remove your credit and debit cards in Passbook & Apple Pay settings used for Apple Pay, or remotely wipe your iPad data. Find My iPad includes Activation Lock, which requires your Apple ID and password in order to turn off Find My iPad or erase your device. Your Apple ID and password are also required before anyone can reactivate your iPad. See Find My iPad.

• Find My Friends: Keep track of your family and friends (when connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network) using the Find My Friends app. Download the free app from the App Store.

• iCloud Keychain: Keep your saved passwords and credit card information up to date on your devices. See iCloud Keychain.

You must have an iCloud account and be signed into iCloud to use Apple Pay. See Apple Pay.

With iCloud, you get a free email account and 5 GB of storage for your mail, documents, photos, and backups. Your purchased music, apps, TV shows, and books, as well as your photo streams, don’t count against your available space.

• Upgrade your iCloud storage. Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage, then tap Change Storage Plan. For information about upgrading your iCloud storage, see iCloud Help.

• View and download previous purchases, or get purchases shared by your family.

• iTunes Store: You can access your purchased songs and videos in the Music and Videos apps. Or, in the iTunes Store, tap Purchased User uploaded file.

• App Store: Go to the App Store, then tap Purchased User uploaded file.

• iBooks Store: Go to iBooks, tap Store, then tap Purchased User uploaded file.

• Turn on Automatic Downloads for music, apps, or books. Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store.

For more information about iCloud, see www.apple.com/icloud. For support information, see www.apple.com/support/icloud.

Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.
http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Feb 8, 2016 10:27 PM in response to judysings

Hi Judy,

thanks for the response to this question. i travel to exhibitions where i dont usually have access to internet. i need to transfer files onto my Ipad Air 2 to be able to use specifically when i dont have access to the net. is there a way to do this? I too have a Dell laptop. i have to admit i am new to using a tablet so i may follow up with some basic queries. thanks so much for your help.

how to transfer files from PC to iPad air 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.