Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I access my keychain data on my other devices

I have set up the icloud access so that I can access my keychain data on my other devices but I can't find the data and don't know how to find it / access it. If I check my keychain access on my other device, it does not show the same data as on my main data keychain access. Not sure what to do here. Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 6:21 AM

1 reply

Jan 12, 2015 12:44 PM in response to fudgierudgie

Hi fudgierudgie,

Thanks for your question. The resource below will explain how to use iCloud Keychain on your iOS devices and your Mac.

Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204085

What is iCloud Keychain?

iCloud Keychain keeps your Safari website usernames and passwords, credit card information, and Wi-Fi network information up to date across all of your approved devices that are using iOS 7.0.3 or later or OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later.

iCloud Keychain can also keep the accounts you use in Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Messages up to date across all of your Mac computers. If you sign in to Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, or any other accounts in Internet Accounts on OS X Mavericks, iCloud can push those accounts to your Mac computers as well.

Learn about iCloud Keychain availability by country.

How does iCloud Keychain protect my information?

iCloud Keychain keeps the passwords and credit card information that you save up to date only on the devices that you approve. When you turn on iCloud Keychain on an additional device, your other devices that use iCloud Keychain receive a notification requesting approval for the additional device. After you approve the additional device, your iCloud Keychain automatically begins updating on that device.

iCloud Keychain is protected with industry-standard encryption techniques on all of your devices, both in transit and in the cloud.

How do I set up iCloud Keychain?

After upgrading to iOS 7.0.3 or later, the iOS setup assistant will ask you to set up iCloud Keychain. If you skipped this step and want to set up iCloud Keychain now, follow these steps:

Use these steps if you're using iOS 7.0.3 or later:

1. Tap Settings > iCloud and turn Keychain on.
  2. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Use these steps if you're using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later:

1. Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Select Keychain. If you want to, you can set a passcode to unlock your screen after sleep or after the screen saver begins.
  3. Enter your Apple ID and password.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.

What is the iCloud Security Code?

When you set up iCloud Keychain, you can create an iCloud Security Code. It can be a 4-digit code similar to the passcode lock for your device, or you can have a more complex code automatically generated for you. The iCloud Security Code is used to authorize additional devices to use your iCloud Keychain. It's also used to verify your identity so that you can perform other iCloud Keychain actions, such as recovering your iCloud Keychain if you lose all your devices.

How can I set up additional devices to use iCloud Keychain?

Set up iCloud Keychain for each device that you want to add. When you turn on iCloud Keychain on an additional device, your other devices that use iCloud Keychain receive a notification requesting approval for the additional device. After you approve the additional device, your iCloud Keychain automatically begins updating on that device.

How do I set up iCloud Keychain on a new device without another device to approve from?

If you can't access any of your other devices that are using iCloud Keychain, you can still set up iCloud Keychain on another device if you have these items:

• Your iCloud Security Code
  • The device that is using the SMS-capable phone number you provided when you first set up iCloud Keychain. A verification code is sent via SMS to this phone number. If you can't access this number, contact Apple Support, who can verify your identity, so that you can complete setup on your new device.

After you complete the setup, your iCloud Keychain will be pushed from the cloud to the new device.

Can Apple recover my iCloud Security Code?

No. If you enter your iCloud Security Code incorrectly too many times, you can't use that iCloud Keychain. You can contact Apple Support, who can help verify your identity so that you can try to enter your iCloud Security Code again. After a number of incorrect attempts, your iCloud Keychain is removed from Apple's servers, and you'll need to set up iCloud Keychain again.

Can I set up iCloud Keychain so that my data isn't backed up in the cloud?

Yes. When you set up iCloud Keychain, you can skip the step to create an iCloud Security Code. Your keychain data is then stored locally on the device, and updates across only your approved devices.

If you don't create an iCloud Security Code, Apple can't help you recover your iCloud Keychain.

What happens when I turn off iCloud Keychain on a device?

When you turn off iCloud Keychain for a device, you're asked to keep or delete the passwords and credit card information that you saved. If you choose to keep the data, it isn't deleted or updated when you make changes on other devices.

What credit card information is stored in iCloud Keychain?

iCloud Keychain stores credit card numbers and expiration dates. It doesn't store or autofill your credit card security code.

Are my existing saved passwords, Wi-Fi networks, and Internet accounts included in iCloud Keychain?

Yes. When you turn on iCloud Keychain, any previously-saved website usernames and passwords, Wi-Fi networks, and Internet accounts are automatically included in iCloud Keychain.

Does iCloud Keychain work with third-party apps?

Yes. Developers can update their apps to work with iCloud Keychain. Passwords saved by those apps are kept up to date on all devices that use the app and are using iOS 7.0.3 or later or OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later.

Can I remove my iCloud Keychain from Apple's servers?

Yes. Use these steps on any of your iOS devices or Mac computers that are using iCloud Keychain:

Use these steps if you're using iOS 7.0.3 or later:

1. Tap Settings > iCloud > Keychain > Advanced. In iOS 7, tap Settings > iCloud > Account > Keychain.
  2. Turn off Approve with Security Code.
  3. Go to each of your devices that are using iCloud Keychain and turn iCloud Keychain off.

Use these steps if you're using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later:

1. Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences. Click iCloud, then click Account details.
  2. Deselect “Allow approving using security code."
  3. Go to each of your devices that are using iCloud Keychain and turn iCloud Keychain off.

After you complete these steps, your keychain data will remain locally on your devices, but changes to your keychain information won't push to your other devices or the cloud unless you turn iCloud Keychain back on. If you want keychain data to push to all of your devices, but not to the cloud, turn on iCloud Keychain on each device, but skip the step to create an iCloud Security Code.

Last Modified:

Have a great day!

- Judy

how do I access my keychain data on my other devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.