Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2011 Macbook Pro refuses to boot. SMC reset doesn't work

Late 2011 Macbook Pro refuses to boot. SMC reset does nothing. Have tried bypassing SMC (nothing).

Magsafe light glows very very faintly (barely visible in a room with lights on).

Have tried reseating the battery connector. Battery indicator status button illuminates no LEDS (despite it being charged before failing).

The mac didn't get wet. Was using a non apple USB cable at the time to tether/charge iphone. Computer just dead after working fine.

Any ideas anyone. Logic board?

Many thanks and best wishes

Jamie

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 8:55 AM

5 replies

Jan 11, 2015 11:22 PM in response to Jamie M

Is it a 15" or 17" MBP? There have been logic board issues with that model.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro

For all models.

If it's a 13" take the bottom off and disconnect the battery:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Late+2011+Battery+Repla cement/7649

So only do this through step #3!

Wait 10 seconds. Push the power button for 5 seconds. Wait 10 seconds. Reconnect the battery. Put the bottom back on don't screw it on just yet. Tape it temporarily in place and try to start it

Even if it's a 15" or 17" try this anyway. Usually when graphics on the logic board fails there will have been anomalies beforehand.

Jan 13, 2015 3:39 AM in response to Jamie M

So you tried that for seconds and it didn't work? But leaving it for minutes did?

Did you push the power button with the battery disconnected? I always feel that would dump any remaining charges held in electrolytic capacitors in a matter of seconds. Just for my information.

I do know that sometimes things will work after walking away with everything disconnected for an hour or so.

Thanks for the check mark.

Late 2011 Macbook Pro refuses to boot. SMC reset doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.