Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

headache from iPhone

My wife recently purchased an iPhone 5, and immediately got headaches from using it. She had to return it. I just got an iPhone 6, and feel pressure in my head when it is nearby. (I tried a double blind experiment to make sure it wasn't my imagination, and it isn't.) Apparently my wife and I are sensitive to the radiation, even though we've had no problems with some other mobile phones. The SAR for iPhones is particularly high.

Have other people experienced this problem? Does a Pong case redirect a noticeable amount of radiation?

Thanks for any insights you have about this.

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 10:46 AM

29 replies

Jan 12, 2015 10:06 AM in response to MineyMoe

MineyMoe wrote:

- The effects of electromagnetic cell phone radiation, including headaches, are documented in many places. Here's one: ehhi.org/reports/cellphones/health_risks.shtml

Alien abductions are also well documented. In and of itself, that proves nothing. People say lots of things.

The bulk of the scientific evidence does NOT support your contention.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cellphones

It's awfully convient that, when you describe a heath problem and people suggest you go talk to a doctor, your response is to say most doctors don't know anything about it. You are however, willing to accept the word of some entirely random doctors who may have their own agenda. I certainly hope that you do not have a serious medical condition that requires treatment when you're diagnosing yourself based on a woefully incomplete knowledge of the science.

If you are unwilling to do the sensible thing and see a doctor, and you are going to persist in believing your own diagnoses, you do need to stop using cell phones. If you believe they are dangerous, why would you keep using them? If you are willing to neither see a doctor nor stop using these allegedly dangerous items, and you persist in posting about this here, you are indeed a troll.

Jan 11, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks. In fact there are ways to measure whether there is a physical problem from this non ionizing radiation, and whether it is caused by a particular transmitting mobile phone. But it involves a major study, like those in the book mentioned below.

Years ago we were taught that non ionizing radiation cannot damage cells, except at such high levels that it cooks them. However, we now know that that is not correct. There is now a large body of evidence of both in vitro and in vivo effects to cells from non ionizing radiation. (See, for example, the tables in this book: Non-ionizing radiation, part 2: radio frequency electromagnetic fields. If you don't have access to it, I can email it to you.)

The mechanism is not fully understood, but seems to be some sort of signaling mechanism, rather than chemical damage. In any case, effects from non ionizing radiation are real, and should not be dismissed.

Jan 11, 2015 12:39 PM in response to MineyMoe

MineyMoe wrote:

The mechanism is not fully understood, but seems to be some sort of signaling mechanism, rather than chemical damage. In any case, effects from non ionizing radiation are real, and should not be dismissed.

If you believe that, you may want stop using all cell phones. At the very least you should see your doctor. There is nothing anyone here can do to help you. No one here can change the way phones work or offer you competent medical advice.

Jan 11, 2015 12:50 PM in response to MineyMoe

MineyMoe wrote:

Thanks. In fact there are ways to measure whether there is a physical problem from this non ionizing radiation, and whether it is caused by a particular transmitting mobile phone. But it involves a major study, like those in the book mentioned below.

Years ago we were taught that non ionizing radiation cannot damage cells, except at such high levels that it cooks them. However, we now know that that is not correct. There is now a large body of evidence of both in vitro and in vivo effects to cells from non ionizing radiation. (See, for example, the tables in this book: Non-ionizing radiation, part 2: radio frequency electromagnetic fields. If you don't have access to it, I can email it to you.)

You've gone far beyond the scope of this forum. Go seek medical advice from a doctor, not a website.

Jan 11, 2015 1:11 PM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

You could simply try the simple solution of turning off the noise cancellation feature...

Settings>General>Accessibility.

Turn Phone Noise Cancellation off.

Active noise cancellation can cause discomfort for some.

Valid point. Could also be a high-range frequency causing discomfort, that's not actual radiation and not generally perceivable. I occasionally have mild discomfort when a far away car with a low booming bass is playing. Not loud enough to really hear clearly, but I can feel it in my ear. I can actual tell such a car is around the corner even before others with me can even hear it. But it's not the 'radiation' (per se, I know it is technically a 'form' of radiation, lol) that is causing me discomfort.

Jan 11, 2015 9:34 PM in response to MineyMoe

MineyMoe wrote:

KiltedTim, thanks for the suggestion to turn off the noise cancellation. I tried it, but I feel the radiation even when the phone is not producing any sound.

Tim is not suggesting that radiation has sound. He's suggesting that some people get headaches from the noise canceling set up on the iPhone. You don't know (as you apparently haven't been to an actual doctor) what is truly causing your headaches. It is, however, far more likely to be the noise canceling than radiation. The initial symptoms of radiation exposure are generally nausea and vomiting.

headache from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.