Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synch iPhone 5s with MacBook 10.5.8.

I own MacBook OS X 10.5.8. processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. The highest possible version of iTunes for me in 10.6.3.
I am about to get iPhone 5S and I am concern about being able to synchronize data between my computer and my phone. Can you guys help me solve this? It there way to upgrade my operating system? Any Experience with similar problem?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhone 5S

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 10:33 AM

4 replies

Jan 11, 2015 10:55 AM in response to veckerka

Read the 5s box. It will say what version of iTunes the phone requires. Very likely whatever is current at the time of purchase of the 5s. That means you will likely have to upgrade to Lion at least (OSX 10.7 -- see the system requirements for iTunes in the iTunes download tab at the top of this page).

System requirements for OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6 - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4949

Note that upgrading to 10.7 will result in no longer being able to use PPC generation applications. IT may also require upgrading RAM in the computer. Apple has minimums but they really mean it and most people go with double minumum.

Jan 11, 2015 12:05 PM in response to veckerka

Unfortunately that tends to happen at Apple Stores when you start mentioning anything older than 4 years. They simply are not familiar with anything that is not capable of running Apple's 'latest and greatest'. (*cough cough*). Hunt down the oldest assistant in the Store and he/she may vaguely remember computers running Leopard but for most of them it is inconceivable anybody would still be doing do and it doesn't occur to them anybody would when buying newer gadgets. To be honest, you'll get better answers here when it comes to using "vintage and obsolete" equipment. 🙂

We bought a 5s a month ago. If I recall correctly it wasn't even labeled on the box and when I asked in the Apple Store the guy didn't even know what iTunes version would be required. My wife has a 4 month old MacBook Pro with Mavericks and iTunes 11 so I didn't know if we would have to upgrade iTunes (and still don't because she never syncs any media to her work phone so we haven't plugged it in). Maybe if you can find out for a very specific phone in the store you might get away with using iTunes 11 which I believe only requires Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) which would definitely be possible on any Intel Mac like your MacBook. Snow Leopard does still support PPC generation software.

Synch iPhone 5s with MacBook 10.5.8.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.