Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac not staying connected to wifi

Hello, I am running a mid-2010 21.5 inch iMac and attempting to run it wirelessly to my wireless router / modem. OS is Yosemite 10.10.1. Once connected the iMac can access the internet normally, send mail etc, however, sometimes (not always), after going to sleep and I start using it again, I find that it has lost, or does not maintain, or does not re-establish the wifi connection. Comments please. Are there some setting changes I should try. I've found nothing obvious to try.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 12:51 PM

2 replies

Jan 11, 2015 1:01 PM in response to pokey b

Try the basics first:

Change your router channel number. Most times this works & is all you have to do.

Disconnect & reconnect your modem. unplug it for about 10 seconds. Plug it back in. Do the same for Apple’s routers. Wait for everything to reboot.

System Preferences>Network

Click the Assist Me button.

In the next window that pops up, click the Diagnostic button & do the necessary.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628 Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity

What to do when you can't connect to the Internet

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Conflicting info. Your post states OS 10.10.1. Please correct your system profile. Thank you.

User uploaded file

imac not staying connected to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.