Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Geocaching email through me.com

Domo!!! (= Howdy! in Japanese)

I am a Mac user for a long while, and also a Geocacher as well.

Geocaching is a worldwide high-tech treasure hunting game, that can be learned about more at Geocaching.com.

Geocachers receive email messages often from an address <noreply@geocaching.com>.

But somehow & sometime after 2015/01/09 22:48 EST, I have not received any messages from the <noreply@geocaching.com> at all. This has never happened to me before.

I have check the Geocaching forum, and it seems that there are a few geocachers with the same problem: @me.com addresses not receiving geocaching messages.

You can read the forum at forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=329009.

Has the <noreply@geocaching.com> address been 'blacklisted' by the @me.com mail server?

Any way to check this?

Any way to fix this?

Input would be very much appreciated.

Best,

~ Dr.MORO

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 3:16 PM

14 replies

Jan 11, 2015 7:28 PM in response to Dr.MORO

Domo again!!!

One of the geocachers has replied in the geocaching forum:

"

In my own Comcast experience, I had to chase this down on behalf of Groundspeak, though I thought at the time that they should have been pro-active and dealt with it on their end. We were indeed able to determine that gc.com's mail server was sending enough traffic to Comcast with bad email addresses (bogus, retired, whatever) that Comcast refused to carry their traffic. In fact, Groundspeak was getting returned messages from Comcast that flagged the problem, but evidently no one was checking these 'bounce' messages.

To see if it is an issue of the sort mentioned above, one of you with an iCloud account should contact them, try to work your way through to someone who can actually help, and find out if they have a 'server reputation' issue with the geocaching.com mail server. You can help them by picking the gc.com's server IP address off of one of your previously successful email messages and providing that to them. At this time, I believe it should be 66.150.167.157, but check your own email to be sure.

"

In the last email I have successfully received from geocaching.com to my @me.com address, one of the headers read:

Received-Spf:pass (st11p00mm-smtpin002.mac.com: domain of noreply@geocaching.com designates 66.150.167.157 as permitted sender)

Not sure how this would help, but hopefully this information will lead to the root of this problem.

Jan 11, 2015 11:05 PM in response to Dr.MORO

I have been using an @icloud.com e-mail address for new geocache publication notifications successfully for two years - these stopped coming through a couple days ago and I missed all the local new geocaches over the weekend! Have now set-up an alternative e-mail address @btinternet.com (UK provider) and these are coming through ok BUT as FETCH not PUSH, which I enjoyed with iCloud. I spoke to another geocacher on Sunday who has exactly the same issue with her icloud e-mail notifications, so this is not my particular icloud address or PC/iPhone equipment.

I have contacted Groundspeak (geocaching.com) direct with details and hopefully they will take notice, BUT would like to know whether there is any issue or dispute between Apple & Groundspeak that would explain this fault.

Unfortunately I haven't kept any of the older icloud e-mails received so not sure how to determine the Groundspeak server IP address, unless it's the same for all e-mails from Groundspeak regardless of the type of notification. Can anyone confirm?

Jan 12, 2015 1:44 AM in response to Dr.MORO

I'm another with an @icloud.com email address and the same problem started at the same time for me. Emails from Geocaching.com are coming through via other email providers and emails from other senders are coming into my icloud account. Therefore it is a specific issue that emails from Geocaching.com are NOT making it to my icloud.com inbox.

As an admin on a local Facebook group of Geocachers, I posed the question on there as to whether others are affected.

Those who are responding who use icloud DO have the same problem

Those who are responding who use other email providers have no problems at all.

We chose how many emails we receive from Geocaching.com and a lot of us chose to receive many a day, it's an important part of the "game".

Here's hoping this gets fixed quickly!

Jan 12, 2015 6:11 AM in response to Dr.MORO

same problem here with @icloud.com email address..

groundspeak says the following though:

Since you want to receive email from us, contact the problematic email provider or ISP and ask them to allow all email originating from the IP addresses belonging to geocaching.com which are listed below.

• I'm not sure if thats the right place, but somehow we need to contact the apple email provider directly

Jan 12, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Dr.MORO

Right! I've spent some time on the phone to Apple today over this issue and have been dealing with a lovely Senior Tech lady. It does seem that noreply@geocaching.com (or the associated IP address(es)) has almost certainly been added to an Apple blocklist, therefore emails from that address to any Apple email accounts (@icloud.com, @me.com etc) will bounce back.

There is nothing we can do on our own accounts or devices to fix this, Apple need to lift the block.

This has been elevated for the techy people at Apple to look at although they're dealing with a backlog from Christmas so it may take a couple of days. The lady that I've been dealing with has promised to ring me back with an update when she has one.

In the meantime she suggests that people should contact Apple if they are affected... the more people report it, the better, basically. This thread has been helpful in flagging up the issue as the Apple people can read it (although they can't reply).

So, if you are affected, please post that both here and on the thread in the Groundspeak Forums. In addition, please go ahead and contact Groundspeak directly via the contact link on the bottom of the homepage so that they realise how widespread the issue is. Although it's not Groundspeak's "fault", it would be nice if they tried to fix it!

Most importantly, please contact Apple. It's free from landlines in the UK... 0800 1076285

You'll need to explain that you are having this known issue, they have an internal thread about it on their forums, or you could point them at this thread. It will obviously take time for all the staff on the phones to become aware of the problem, so please be patient but insistent 😉

I must say thanks to the contributors to this thread, it's helped to tie everything together to figure out what's going on, lets hope we can sort it! 🙂

Jan 12, 2015 10:34 AM in response to KaosCL

Thanks KaosCL for the somewhat encouraging update.

And also thanks to those who have contributed information about this problem.

If you know anyone else with the same problem, please lead them to this forum and the geocaching forum, and have them post as well.

Also, clicking the "I have this question too" link right below my original post at the top, should increase the level of severity, hence letting Apple know there is a major problem here to fix ASAP.

I will also try contacting Groundspeak AND Apple more directly, and at least raise the awareness of this issue.

Yet, I really wish Groundspeak contacts Apple directly to resolve this.

Fix please!

Jan 12, 2015 2:45 PM in response to Dr.MORO

AND, Groundspeak seems to be looking into this right now, as posted on the Geocaching forum.

Groundspeak Lackey says:

"

We have confirmed that Apple has been blocking email delivery from signal.groundspeak.com because it has triggered their spam monitors. For now we have started routing emails for the affected domains (mac.com, icloud.com, me.com) to signal2.groundspeak.com and those emails are currently being delivered.

Our IT team is following up with Apple.

"

Hopefully close to a full fix...

Jan 13, 2015 3:33 AM in response to Dr.MORO

The workaround by Groundspeak (Geocaching.com) seemed like a good temporary solution but the matter still needs to be resolved with Apple.

I was able to receive test logs on my caches and trackables, along with the weekly email, via @iCloud so assumed that the temporary workaround had at least bought us some time until Groundspeak and Apple can agree a long term solution.

However, it has come to light today that notifications of new Geocaches are still not coming through. Whether they're still trying to send them from the blocked IPs or whether they've now managed to disable/break their own notifications... who knows?

Either way, this isn't resolved yet (as an email to me from Groundspeak claimed it was!) so it is still imperative that Apple address the issue of the Blocklist.

Jan 14, 2015 12:52 AM in response to Dr.MORO

Tuesday 13th - Saw couple of new caches in my area on geocaching website around 10:45, but no e-mail notification e-mails received via icloud or BT e-mail accounts. Sometime later a couple came through on the BT account followed soon afterwards at around 12:00 by ten or eleven newbies - both icloud & BT e-mails received. The icloud & BT e-mails came from two different IP addresses:

icloud.com e-mail sent from: signal2.groundspeak.com ([66.150.167.158])

btinternet.com e-mail sent from: signal.groundspeak.com (66.150.167.157)

Let's hope groundspeak sort the spam blocking issue out with Apple properly, and permanently.

Feb 22, 2015 11:03 PM in response to Dr.MORO

Never heard any news direct from Groundspeak about this issue, but my iCloud notifications for new geocache publications appear to have been coming through normally since my last posting on January 14th.

At that time I set-up a parallel gmail account to monitor the iCloud new cache publication notification situation - never saw there were any 'misses' for the iCloud e-mail compared to gmail. I still have both the gmail & iCloud notifications set-up as I don't really trust that Apple will not block Groundspeak again (unless of course Groundspeak have sorted the issue of spam blocking with Apple properly, but I heard nothing officially from either company!).

I think you can return to using your iCloud/me.com account ...

No Geocaching email through me.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.