Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

set original date and time back to all my pictures

I just made a terrible mistake. I updated all my pictures in iPhoto - with the wrong date and time.

I would very much like to give all my pictures back the original time and date.

When I tried this, using «Adjust time and date» - the original date and time shown - is not the original date and time.

But the same date and time as the pictures are updated with.

Can this be solved? Please help!

-C

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 1:14 PM

13 replies

Jan 11, 2015 1:28 PM in response to csjavik

The safest way to fix this would be to restore your iPhoto Library from the last back you made before you modified the date. See this help document: iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

If your backup is too old, you can only fix it by reimporting the original files, if you did not apply the "Modify Original Files" flag, when you adjusted the time. Did you use this flag?

User uploaded file

Jan 12, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Yer_Man

No, no back up. I’m not so technical, and can’t get my Time Machine to start… 😟

To re-date the photos, I actually just marked one folder with approx 80 pictures, and chose the «Adjust time and date»

and updated the date.

It took a very long time, and when the update was completed - I noticed that the rest of my folders was updated as well.

WItch I did not mean to do….but SURPRISE! (OH NOOO)

Jan 12, 2015 8:31 AM in response to csjavik

And the original files are deleted a long time ago, from my iPhone and Camera.

I used «Modify original files»

Do you know for any of your photos what the correct date and time should be? So you can calculate, by which amount the date and time is wrong? Is there any photo showing a clock or similar?

"Adjust Date and Time" adds the same offset to all photos. You just to need to find out, by which exact amount all dates and times have been shifted.

Then select all photos again, and adjust them by the same amount again, but this time negative.

Jan 12, 2015 8:32 AM in response to csjavik

Then there is no way - you really need to alway have a backup - with one you will lose things again and sooner or later you will lose everything

Simply purchase a time Capsule or other external drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) about 2 to 2 1/2 times the size o your main drive, connect it and start running TimeMachine all the time - https://www.apple.com/support/timemachine/

LN

Jan 20, 2015 9:08 AM in response to léonie

Hi léonie,

It’s me again. And im ready to update the date on my photos….

Just one question:

Some pictures seem to have the correct time, as in hours, munites and seconds.

But some of them are wrong.

Do you know why this differ? If I updated time as well, should not all pictures be updated?

The one folder I ment to update in the first place…there is only some of the pictures updated with the correct date and year.

The rest is wrong…… Why? The time seem to be ok on all of them.

So I have a hard time remembering if I chenged the time at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2015 9:54 AM in response to csjavik

The one folder I ment to update in the first place…there is only some of the pictures updated with the correct date and year.

The rest is wrong…… Why? The time seem to be ok on all of them.

Is your backup ready? This looks complicated, and you may need the backup.

Either the dates were wronger than you expected, or only a few photos have been selected, when you applied the "Adjust Date and time".

set original date and time back to all my pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.