Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop is no longer automatically opening my network, I have to choose it every time.

We recently got a cable provider, when the tech put in the internet modem he gave us one with wi-fi. It was interfering with my airport wi-fi so I had them come back out and switch the modem so it does no provide wi-fi. Now my desktop will not automatically choose my network when I open safari, I have to choose it every time if my desktop has gone to sleep. I have gone into network preferences and checked the settings, made sure my network is at the top of the list, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have set it for automatic for my network and saved the settings but it still won't do it. I've gone through "assist" and "advanced" and everything looks right. Any suggestions?

Time Capsule 802.11n (1st Gen), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 1:54 PM

5 replies

Jan 11, 2015 7:02 PM in response to albrownp

Try the following, in order, until (hopefully) resolved:

1a. Delete Preferred Network(s)

• System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Wi-Fi tab
  • Under "Preferred Networks," delete the network(s) you regularly use from the list.

1b. Delete AirPort Keychain Entries

• Launch the "Keychain Access" application located in Applications/Utilties.
  • In the windows on the left side: Select login for Keychains and "All Items" for Category.
  • Click on the "Kind" filter at the top, and look for any "AirPort network password" entries...and delete them.

1c. Add Preferred Network(s)

• System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Wi-Fi tab
  • Add the preferred network(s) using the "+" button.
  • Restart or log out then back in.

2. Move System Configuration Files

(Note: You will have to reestablish your network connections settings.)

• Go to /Library/Preferences
  • Move the SystemConfiguration folder to the desktop.
  • Restart your Mac. (Note: OS X will rebuild the files that are now sitting on your desktop. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you can move the folder back to it's original location.)

Mar 4, 2015 5:16 PM in response to Tesserax

Back in January you sent me information on how to resolve the above issue. At the time I tired it and it didn't work. Well, I kept the directions you sent and tried it again. for some reason this time it worked. Maybe I didn't follow the direction exactly the first time, I don't know, but now it worked. I wanted to make sure to let you know that it worked the second time so Thank You.

desktop is no longer automatically opening my network, I have to choose it every time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.