Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An additional user account runs painfully slow

I am running 10.6.8 on a mid-2007 iMac and when I add an additional user account, either as a standard account or with admin rights, that account runs painfully slow, meaning any menu item or application launch could take minutes to appear. Switching back to the main amin account or even the guest account the iMac runs great. I tried deleting and recreating an additional user account several times with the same result. Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 11, 2015 8:02 PM

1 reply

Jan 12, 2015 6:55 AM in response to audiopace

Give the additional account admin privileges. Try booting into the Safe Mode in the additional account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode

While in the additional account, booted normally, try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

An additional user account runs painfully slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.