Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about buying a new Mac Pro for 4k video editing.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking into buying a new mac pro and I have a few questions. I'm a filmmaker/freelance editor looking to get a system that can handle any/at least most 4k formats that I might throw at it, and will hopefully last me around 7 years or so, like my last mac pro has. I've saved up about $5,300 and am becoming more obsessed with getting it asap, but am willing to wait a bit and save up more if necessary. I also play the occasional elder scrolls or civilization game, and might run windows on the new system as well. So here are my questions:

1. I've read rumors that a newer build could be released this year, with newer processors and graphics cards. Is there anything to point to when? I tend to buy things a month before a newer version is released, and I'd like to prevent myself from doing it this time around..

Here's the Build I'm looking at:

6 core

2 D700s

base ram to be upgraded myself to 32Gb (2x16Gb cards leaving 2 slots empty to expand to 64Gb later)

512Gb-1Tb internal hd

2. Should I be considering the 8 core? I'm not too excited about the additional $1500, but I want a system that will last.

3. Is getting the two 16Gb chips of ram and leaving two slots empty a bad idea?

4. I currently work with FCP studio 2 and love it. Not sure whether to go with FCP X, or adobe. Any thoughts?

5. I'm not finding many deals for cheaper ram and hard drives. OWC's prices seem to be comparable to Mac's. I want to do the ram so I have room to upgrade to 64Gb later, but are there any hard drives out there that would make it worth upgrading it myself?

I appreciate any insights you might have. I plan on getting a decent raid and 4k monitor in the next year or so, but for now just want a base system that will keep me editing and will be ready for 4k when I take that next step.

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 1:07 AM

9 replies

Jan 12, 2015 1:22 AM in response to greekscreech

# 1 seems OK since

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/1866D3R9M32/

says you can use 2x16. Note that it has to be registered ECC memory

#2 See the following for selecting number of cores and other things

http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html#MacPro2013

#3 See #1 above

#4 not comment

#5 When yo say hard drives do you mean the blade SSD installed in the Mac?

Jan 12, 2015 9:28 AM in response to greekscreech

5. I'm not finding many deals for cheaper ram and hard drives.

You are buying the state of the art. There will be no deals until there is less demand or the technology moves on to something better. If in the US, try shopping here:

http://www.datamemorysystems.com

The Internal SSD drive is intended as the Boot drive. Substantial amounts of Video data will not fit on it, even if you get the largest available.

It is expected that you will put your User data on External drives. USB-3 will work for two drives used simultaneously, then may start to slow down. ThunderBolt enclosures will give best performance.

New Processors are not expected soon. So a new Mac Pro is also not expected soon.

Jan 12, 2015 9:45 AM in response to greekscreech

I have been using a fully maxed out Mac Pro (late 2013) since mid-January of last year. It is a superb machine for editing 4K video when paired with high quality external Thunderbolt 2 raid systems. The main difference that you will see between the 6-core and the 8-core Mac Pro will be in shortening the export time. Going to the 12-core will offer further reductions in export time since all cores are used by Final Cut Pro X. Only you can decide if the trade off of shorter render (export) times is worth the extra dollars for more cores. Many people think that the 8-core machine affords the "sweet spot" in this regard in the Mac Pro line.

I strongly recommend that if you purchase a Mac Pro you leave behind Final Cut Studio 2 and move immediately to Final Cut Pro X. FCP X has a significant learning curve (mainly because it is a totally new way of doing things), but it affords not only full 64-bit speed but is optimized to work with the late 2013 Mac Pro. I can tell you from first hand experience that working with FCP X on the late 2013 Mac Pro is a superb experience. The program literally flies on that machine even when playing back 4K video in real time. Furthermore, FCP X makes optimum use of the GPU of the AMD D700 graphics cards in the 2013 Mac Pro so effects, filters, etc. are rendered with amazing speed.

If at all possible, I would highly recommend a Pegasus Thunderbolt 2 raid system, e.g. the Pegasus R4 or R6. I am editing 4K video daily using a Pegasus 2 R6 Raid 5 system and I am easily able to handle multiple 4K streams form my Sony FDR-AX100 4K camcorder with this raid array. It has also proven to be totally reliable. If the Pegasus 2 is beyond your reach, then Western Digital makes a number of Thunderbolt raid 0 hard drives that afford excellent speed, but, of course, raid 0 does not afford you any protection in the event of failure of one of the hard drives in the raid.

I hope this adds to The other comments you have received.

Tom

Jan 12, 2015 1:20 PM in response to greekscreech

Thanks! Follow ups:

1. From what I've read, updated processors are coming out now, and updated graphics cards already are out. Check out this site:

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/mac-pro/

Its vague though, and I feel like the new mac pro could be out in 1-2 months, or 10-12 months.I'd wait for the former but not the latter.

2. So upgrading to the 8 core would improve export time, but nothing else? I don't mind waiting a bit longer for exports to save $1500, as long as the actual 4k editing isn't slowed down. That $1500 would probably be better spent on getting a better raid system, right?

3. So there aren't any disadvantages to leaving 2 slots open. Here's the ram I'm looking at getting:http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2x16GB-DDR3-1866-Systems-CT2K16G3R186DM/dp/B00GEC3 ZJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421097098&sr=8-1&keywords=mac+pro+ram

4. Thanks for sharing your experience with FCP X. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about it and a lot of people have told me to switch over to Premiere, especially since it's part of the adobe suite that I'll be getting anyway for other programs. I have fought it because I am trained on FCP, and love it to death, so its good to hear someone praise it.

5. Thanks for the raid info. I understand the internal solid state is only to be used as a boot drive. Since I'm probably going to want to partition it and run windows(is boot camp still included in the latest mac os?) I feel like I need at least 512Gb. Sound right or should I get the 1Tb? I'll probably get it straight from Mac, unless anyone has some insight to where I could get it cheaper.

Jan 13, 2015 8:54 AM in response to greekscreech

The late 2013 Mc Pro uses Intel Xeon ECC processors (error correction), and as far as I know Intel has not announced any newer Intel Xeon processors than those in the late 2013 Mac Pro. I would not expect to see an update to the 2013 Mac Pro until the end of 2015 at the earliest and probably later than that.

If time is not an issue, then you should be quite happy with the 6 core 2013 Mac Pro. It will do an excellent job with 4K video footage. And, yes, I would suggest getting the best raid system you can afford. That is actually more important than processor speed since I/O is frequently the bottleneck when doing multi camera video or 4K video.

I have the latest version of Adobe's Premiere Pro 2014 CC installed on my late 2013 Mac Pro and i have used it a bit without problems. However, I find it much much slower to edit with than FCP X. Also be advised that if you Google you will find several individuals on the Adobe Forums who purchased the late 2013 Mac Pro and have not been able to use it with Premiere Pro CC because of either a hardware incompatibility or software issues between Premiere Pro CC and BMD's Resolve. It is quite possible that I have not experienced these problems because I have not made very demanding projects with Premiere Pro CC on my 2013 Mac Pro.

I strongly recommend FCP X. Apple released FCP X before it was ready, and many early users were unwilling to take the time to learn how to use this very different NLE which is not track based. Apple has over the last 3 years since FCP X was released, issued more than 10 updates (all free), and the program is stable and blazingly fast. I urge you to check out the FCP X training offered by Ripple Training and/or Larry Jordan. Both are inexpensive, and worth every cent. Watch their training videos and you will be up to speed in FCP X in no time at all, and you will wish you had switched a long time ago.

If you can afford the 1 TB of PCie internal flash storage on your Mac Pro, then by all means get it. For me 1TB is well worth the cost.

As far as editing 4K video, the format of the video will be important to the ease of editing. For example, I am able to edit in its native format (XVAC S) several streams of 4K video form my Sony FDR-AX100 with no problems. If I were editing Sony's XVAC format used in their professional 4K cameras, that might pose a problem that would require transcoding. Similarly for other 4K formats. XVAC S is an easy format to edit natively because it is essentially a high bit rate h.264 format.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do, and happy editing.

Tom

Apr 30, 2015 11:03 AM in response to jamiefromthames ditton

Congratulations on your purchase of the Pegasus 2 R4. I hope you will enjoy yours as much as the Pegasus 2 R6 that I purchased more than a year ago. I have my R6 configured as Raid 5 just as it came from Promise Technologies. Raid 5 offers the best compromise between security and speed. It is fast enough for virtually any video that you can throw at it, and if one of the drives fails in a Raid 5 setup the system will rebuild itself when you insert a new hard drive into it. With Raid 0 you will have a faster data throughput, but you will sacrifice any security, i.e. if any of the drives in your R4 fails then you will lose all data.

Tom

Questions about buying a new Mac Pro for 4k video editing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.