Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot see phone number in imessage settings

I have recently set up my old Iphone 5 (with the latest software) for my son and for some reason his phone number is not showing up under the Send & Receive section. All that shows up is his email address.

I have turned off imessage and Face time and then restarted the phone. Then turned on imessage again but under the imessage button it says "Waiting for Activation". I have reset his phone but it is still waiting for activation.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 1:51 AM

4 replies

Jan 12, 2015 3:32 AM in response to Dalob123

Can you son send and receive text messages?

Still not activated after an hour?

It might take a few minutes to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If you've waited more than an hour, try these steps:

1. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS.
  2. If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can receive SMS messages.
  3. Contact Apple Support.

copied from iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime and iMessage activation - Apple Support

Apr 4, 2015 1:47 AM in response to Dalob123

Okay the "special" account is no more than ensuring you have pay as you go credit on your phone, i.e. the base pay as you go plan when you purchased the SIM. It only uses pay as you go credit (rather than a bolt on plan credit) to send the confirm SMS to the UK.

When you bolt on a plan, you do what I did & use the pay as you go plan credit to offset the purchase - wrong !!! You need to leave that pay as you go credit for these sorts of things - not that you would know.

I rang ALDI & I had to buy a pay as you go credit of $15 (the minimum, which lasts for 12 months). Soon after, I could see two texts overseas on my account (1 for iMessage & one for Facetime) to finally enable both apps using my mobile no AS WELL as my apple ID.

None of this is on ALDI's website. The exact issues are highlighted on their website but sends you down the path of changing the SMSC number - all of which is not the problem, it's simply the right type of credit available to confirm by overseas SMS that your number can be used by iMessage.

Cannot see phone number in imessage settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.