Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

max wifi speed mid-2014 MBP

Hello,

I have a MacBookPRO mid-2014 and I wan`t to ask you what is max speed of it`s wireless card.

I connect this MacBook to ASUS RT-AC68U wich have AC support, but even if I put the laptop near it, my wifi speed is around 220 Mbps and copyng from another computer wich is connected with gigabit ethernet cable is about 8 MB/s. If I connect another laptop with ethernet gigabit cable, copy speed is about 80 MB/s

I can`t find nowhere tehnical specifications about my MacBookPro wireless connection ( only 802.11ac )

What speed are you reached in your local network ?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 13" Retina

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 2:01 AM

5 replies

Jun 24, 2016 3:53 PM in response to FMJianu

I have the same MBP you do, but am not certain about the numbers. I checked to see which wi-fi card my computer has and got the numbers from "about this mac."

This shows me it is a Broadcom BCM43XX 1.0 (7.5.166.24.3). I called Broadcom and found the maximum speed for this card is . . . 1.5 Mbps (yes one and a half mega bits per second, or 187,000 characters per second). It doesn't go faster because it cannot.

I am getting a new MBP and this time insisting that I am given the Wi-Fi manufacturer and model number in advance. FYI. Broadcom tells me they are no longer going to make the chip for Apple. They will be able to provide a replacement, 10X faster chip for about $50.

Jun 24, 2016 4:41 PM in response to ITTransactionSoftwareChief

This shows me it is a Broadcom BCM43XX 1.0 (7.5.166.24.3). I called Broadcom and found the maximum speed for this card is . . . 1.5 Mbps (yes one and a half mega bits per second, or 187,000 characters per second). It doesn't go faster because it cannot.

This is not correct. I don't know who you got in broadcom but since the earliest wifi .. ie b standard is 11Mbps and every standard since then has gone up in leaps and bounds the speed of the card in a 2014 MBP is at least dual stream AC.. which is 866Mbps that is link speed not actual throughput.

My ancient now (2011 MBP and Mini have identical wireless chips)

You have confused wireless chip with wireless firmware revision.

en1:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xE4)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.17)

MAC Address: 28:37:37:15:4d:6f

Locale: APAC

Country Code: AU

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Wake On Wireless: Supported

AirDrop: Supported

Any driver will likely show BCM43xx because it is the driver name.. simple as that.

They will be able to provide a replacement, 10X faster chip for about $50.

Apple use unique wireless cards.. so you cannot update to a new card or chipset.

Find the current link speed by holding down the option key and clicking the wireless icon in the top menu area.

This is using a later Mac with a standard broadcom AC card. All of later Macs are fitted with AC wireless cards.

User uploaded file

Check the specs on all the 2014 Macs and I think you will be hard pressed to find a single one without AC wireless.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_year/macs-released-in-2014.html

Certainly every single MBP has AC wireless.

Jun 24, 2016 8:59 PM in response to ITTransactionSoftwareChief

I am so thankful for all of your corrections and advice.

Not unusual that I would read all of the product numbers to Broadcom and they replied back to me. I wonder why Broadcom put in print that they would no longer be manufacturing cards for Apple?

If my wi-fi card is capable of greater speed then how to do you suggest I proceed with fixing it, not testing it, fixing it?

Jun 24, 2016 11:44 PM in response to ITTransactionSoftwareChief

If you use El Capo did you upgrade install?? If so there are heaps of wireless issues associated with update.

There is a very useful post I kept by Linc Davis who is one of the gurus around that area.

Re: My Macbook pro won't stay connected to the WiFi!

What model wireless router do you have?

If you have issues with speed please post full details with screenshots.. same one I did.. hold option key and click the wireless fan.. I need to see that info.

Also do the Apple wireless diagnostics and screenshots of the performance scan.

max wifi speed mid-2014 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.