Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have my iPhoto set to an external drive yesterday when it was in use the usb disconnected i now have a message saying (your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable) I have tried shutting down and restarting.

I have my iPhoto set to an external drive, when it was in use the usb disconected as i was moving my mac air, when i re-conected a message said (your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable).

I have tried shutting it down and then re opening iPhoto but get the same message.

The reason for the external drive was there was not enough room on my hard drive, I have around 7000 photos on it.

is there a simple fix?

Regards

Dale

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 4:08 AM

1 reply

Jan 12, 2015 10:36 AM in response to daleroberts

These are your options:

1. Restore the iPhoto library from the most recent backup that predates the issue.

Advantages: Always works, if library damage is causing the problem and the backup is intact.

Disadvantages: Impossible if you don't have a backup. All changes made since the backup are lost.

2. Repair or rebuild the library. Be sure to back it up first.

Advantages: May solve the problem with no loss of data.

Disadvantages: May fail. May take a long time if the library is large.

3. Scavenge the library with a third-party application called "iPhoto Library Manager," which you can find in a web search. From the application's menu bar (not the iPhoto menu bar), select Library Rebuild.

Advantages: All images and albums should be preserved.

Disadvantages: All books, calendars, and slideshows will be lost.

I have my iPhoto set to an external drive yesterday when it was in use the usb disconnected i now have a message saying (your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable) I have tried shutting down and restarting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.