Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration to new 3TB Time Machine/Time Capsule?

From an earlier posting, I think A Silverstone asked for a step-by-step procedure.

I have a similar issue I would like a procedure(s) on. Actually two identical issues.

1. I wish to purchase Apples new 3TB tower Airport/Time Machine to replace a 1TB Airport extreme/Time Machine. I want to migrate the old to the new using Apple processes/procedures without a lot of workaround. How can this be done? Does Apple have a procedure?

2. I have a desktop with four drives (three 2TB & one 1TB) and wish at least two of them to be Time Machine capable, i.e., backup every hour like the Airport/Time Machine does. Can this be done? Does Apple have a procedure?

I want to migrate the old Time Capsule data to the new Time Capsule and to two HD's in the desktop.

The idea is to have backups for a Time Machine backup in the event of a power disruption or a hacker that might impact the tower Time Machine. There are other reasons such as storage capacity using a daisy chain process.

One main problem is capturing the old "sparsebundle" in such a way to get it into the new unit and on to internal HD's. How to do this is the question.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Other Mac's linked to Airport

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 9:04 AM

2 replies

Jan 12, 2015 12:01 PM in response to budspwr

1. Time Machine – Transfer Backup to a New Drive

Time Machine – Transfer Backup to a New Drive (2)

You can also use Disk Utility's Restore tab, which is often faster and less prone to errors. Note it will format the new drive.

2. Yes. Go to System Preferences/Time Machine, select Add a drive and you can have 2. They will alternate with each new backup.

OS X Mavericks: Use multiple backup disks

Jan 13, 2015 2:42 PM in response to Eric Root

I was about to try all that but run into more problems than I thought possible.

I had acquired a Buffalo 3TB drive but when I hooked it up, my two main drives and the Airport extreme got corrupted. I reloaded OS 10.10 and migrated from my laptop which most of the same data but could not get at the Time Capsule. I know the data is there but am have difficulty having it recognized by the Time machine Backup process. Original "DATA" is not visible in Time Machine Preferences.

Opening Network/DATA/bundlepb.bundlepb/sparsebundle...shows the data is there but when attempting transition it some where takes days.

If I could get the bundle to the top layer of the old Time Capsule, it would be great to have my data back.

Any ideas?

Migration to new 3TB Time Machine/Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.