Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted iMessage Conversation with Unread Messages - how do I mark them as read?

Hi - I recently set up iMessage on my Mac to sync with my phone. I deleted a conversation I no longer needed with two unread messages - so it is now gone from both my Mac & my phone. However - the little red bubble shows I have two unread messages from that number and I can't mark them as read or delete them. I right click on iMessages and it shows the number & two unread messages, but when I click on that number, nothing happens. How do I get rid of the little red bubble??

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 12:57 PM

Hi,

If you deleted or dismissed the Chat then the DOCK indicator should also go.

Try this.

With the App open go to Applications/Utilities folder and open the Activity Monitor app.

Find the item for th DOCK in the list.

highlight and then use the Quit icon to left.

Confirm Force Quit.

The Dock will disappear from view but restart and appear in the list instantly.

However the red indicator should have disappeared.

User uploaded file

8:57 pm Monday; January 12, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Imtall62

Hi,

If you deleted or dismissed the Chat then the DOCK indicator should also go.

Try this.

With the App open go to Applications/Utilities folder and open the Activity Monitor app.

Find the item for th DOCK in the list.

highlight and then use the Quit icon to left.

Confirm Force Quit.

The Dock will disappear from view but restart and appear in the list instantly.

However the red indicator should have disappeared.

User uploaded file

8:57 pm Monday; January 12, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 13, 2015 9:19 AM in response to Imtall62

I tried Ralph's suggestion and it didn't work the first time for me either. I had Messages open and in the dock. It would just come back up showing the notification. I closed Messages so that it didn't show in the dock, and then the dock force quit did work. When I relaunched Messages it didn't show the unread count from the deleted thread. Obviously a bug here on deleting threads with unread messages. Thanks Ralph!

Jan 16, 2015 1:11 PM in response to gregcha

Hi,

The issue has been around since Mountain Lion.

Early fixes tended to suggest using the Terminal App to end the Dock function whilst Messages was Quit.

I tend to prefer Interface fixes if I can find them as I know many are not comfortable with the Terminal.

However this method might provide a more permanent "fix.

https://formattc.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/fix-incorrect-mac-dock-icon-badge-coun t/

User uploaded file

9:11 pm Friday; January 16, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 3, 2015 8:53 PM in response to Imtall62

This problem still happens for me. Another thread suggested signing out of iCloud and then do all of the things Ralph pointed out. It is completely unacceptable that I have to sign out of iCloud, force quit applications, modify settings, sacrifice a chicken, and circumbobulate the nearest Apple Store seven times every single time this happens. This really needs to be addressed. Calling support and leaving feedback seem to be falling on deaf ears. They know this is a problem but don't seem to lack the appropriate resources to fix it. Really, a "Mark All As Read" option would be ideal.

Nov 24, 2015 10:57 PM in response to Imtall62

I just had this problem and I tried changing my notification settings and tweaking things. I even tried Ralph's suggestion but it didn't work for me. But I did find a solution that worked. That darn unread notification bubble could be quite annoying when you really don't have a message haha but anyway, I have provided a screen shot with the factory settings that mostly everyone has. What I did was go into system preferences, click on notifications, go to messages, and uncheck everything and change your alerts to "none." Once you do that, restart your computer and go back into the system preferences > notifications for messages and go ahead and re-check everything back to how you had it. And BOOM! No more annoying red bubble notification 🙂User uploaded file

Deleted iMessage Conversation with Unread Messages - how do I mark them as read?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.