Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My wireless/bluetooth keyboard won't type letters in message boxes/documents on both the iphone and ipad with voiceover activated. The arrow keys and all other keys work just not the ability to type the letters, are there hotkeys or something I docu

My apple wireless/bluetooth keyboard will not enter letters into an email message or document, the arrow keys, ESC key etc all work but the only way I can type letters is to turn the keyboard off and do it on the device itself, are there any hotkeys or something I need to hit to be able to type letters into the document from th ewireless keyboard?

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2017 4:50 AM

I had this with my iPad Air 2 since updating to IOS 11. The keyboard worked as normal with other devices, but I couldn’t use the letters on the wireless apple keyboard with my iPad (number and special function keys worked).

I restarted my iPad and it’s now working fine.

4 replies

Jan 29, 2015 6:54 PM in response to deankozak

One easy way to fix it is the following:

close all the apps who are running using the app switcher

press and hold the power button on your aapple Bluetooth keyboard it will turn off the device.

re start the apple Bluetooth keyboard doing the same process mention above.

don't forget on the edit body text hit left and right arrow key on the same time,

quick mav off.

it works for me.

Jan 29, 2015 7:01 PM in response to deankozak

hi. first off, don't try anything about closing apps and all that, unless you make sure you've turned off quick nav to type. for some strange reason, in iOS 8, you can't type text into a edit field, if you don't turn that off. that's by pressing the left and right arrows together. if this isn't the problem, then i'd try toggling off the keyboard, then toggle off bluetooth on your device, then back on, and finally turn the keyboard back on.

My wireless/bluetooth keyboard won't type letters in message boxes/documents on both the iphone and ipad with voiceover activated. The arrow keys and all other keys work just not the ability to type the letters, are there hotkeys or something I docu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.