Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 apps crashing - mapkit bug?

Hey everyone, so I have an iPhone 6, 64GB. I've been having app crashing issues with specific apps, and apple it not of much help at all. I think I may have narrowed down the problem, but wondering if anyone else is having the same issue? So far, upon search the only other major crashing issues I've seen are with 128GB iphone 6+, and that's not me. Here's a rundown of what I've experienced:

9/17/14

- BRAND NEW iPhone 6, yay, restored from a backup of my iphone 5, and everything was working perfectly, no problems.

9/26/14

- That evening while traveling, random apps started crashing.

- Facebook, Redfin, Maps, sometimes Calendar/Safari/Email, sometimes Fitbit, sometimes Myfitnesspal.

- By crashing, I mean that they close abruptly with no warning. Sometimes they will actually load initially, but then after a few actions or minutes of use, they crash (facebook, email/safari/calendar). Some apps just NEVER load (Maps, Redfin), they begin to launch and then immediately close. They appear to close, but when you double-click the home button to see which apps are running, there they sit in all their glory, but you can't actually use them: bringing them back to the front of open apps just makes them appear to "crash" again. I guess it's technically more of a display error, in that the app is technically running, but you can't see it and therefore use it.

*Side note - Coincidence this was the day the fatal/buggy iOS 8.0.1 update was released? Although I hadn't installed it yet...but weird nonetheless.

9/27/14

- Installed 8.0.1 over wi-fi (traveling and no computer), but didn't fix the crashing problem.

10/27/14

- Still been crashing all this time, life without maps and facebook is hard.

- Attempted to install 8.1 and had horrific errors. Had to wipe everything and set up as new phone, install the 8.1 update, and then restore from my last iphone 5 backup.

- App crashing has ceased, and maps and all other apps are working normally. Not happy I've lost the past 45 days of history, but at least the phone is working again and I have *most* of my stuff.

12/22/14

- Haven't had a problem since the last fix in October. Once again while traveling and literally on the plane out of town (I think maybe I'm cursed?), same crashing issues start.

- It began with Facebook, then I immediately checked maps, calendar, safari etc etc and they're all broken again. In case you didn't know, traveling in a city that you don't know without maps at your fingertips, and facebook to post your exciting updates, is not fun. Begrudgingly gritted my teeth and dealt with it until I could get home from travels and try to fix it.

1/12/15

- So I've been paying attention to this crashing thing the last few weeks and taking notes, trying to figure it out, because I actually want Apple to fix this, but I can't take it anymore.

- Started out by turning on iCloud Photo Library beta to make sure all photos/vids are stored, then also did an iCloud backup and a full iTunes backup. Also took screenshots of screen layout and other important settings.

- Called Apple Support and they (of course) told me I need to update to 8.1.2 (dreading this!), and then wipe everything, setup as a new phone, and see if it's still having the problem; then restore from this mornings backup and see if that fixes it.

- I first wiped the phone, just in case the glitch/bug is what caused my last update attempt to go awry. Then setup as new phone, then updated software, then restored from this mornings backup. Seems to be working again, and now the crashing is not happening. BUT - we all know it will start happening again at some time in the future, when the stars align or some random thing triggers that glitch that starts this whole nightmare.

WHAT I'VE GATHERED FROM THIS:

1) Apple support techs are very quick to assume it's probably a corrupt backup file, and that the only way to permanently fix it is to setup as new phone and ditch the old data. Well I'm sorry, but that's just not acceptable to me. For one, every time I've restored from a backup, it appears to fix the issue. That leads me to believe there is a bug that isn't initially a problem until something triggers it. Two, I do not pay premium $ to have an iphone so that I can be told "sorry, you just have a dud backup file, if you want your phone to work properly you need to lose all your history"...I buy the iphone because of it's ease of use, and being able to seamlessly upgrade devices. At that price point, the phone better work flawlessly, and if there's a problem they need to actually fix the problem. I didn't write the code, and I certainly didn't go into my backup and change the code. And three, I have way too much data to lose in apps, messages etc - losing that alone would be worse than dealing with this dumb glitch.

2) After looking at the Diagnostic Crash Logs, all these app crashes have something to do with the Mapkit code, and sometimes also a Vectorkit code which I'm assuming is how the phone renders the map data and displays it. I'm not a developer or coder, I don't speak that language, but I can clearly see the event is EXC_CRASH and the thread each log points to has SOMETHING to do with MapKit and sometimes Vectorkit. Being that all these apps do use apple's native maps app to display or lookup map data - it's clear to me that this seems to be the issue. In researching further, I came across this post from a developer who mentions something about it: http://thecodist.com/article/our_ios_app_crash_rate :

"1/3 of the crashes are a particular one in MapKit where Apple's tile loading code in VectorKit appears to try to update a map which has already been deallocated. I reported it in Radar but so far no idea if they are going to fix it. It appears that when a map tile load isn't delivered fast enough it can complete after the app has already removed the map view."

I'd like for them to actually fix this!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 2:53 PM

16 replies

Jan 21, 2015 10:32 AM in response to AmishCake

Lol what is the point of a Support Community blog if all anyone is going to tell anyone is restart/wipe their device? That's garbage.

@socialprincess1, I have THIS EXACT PROBLEM with my phone. I travel (specifically air travel) and suddenly, like clock work as we push back from the gate, all apps that utilize mapkit crash. I've reproduced this problem 4 times in the last month (I've done a lot of air travel). Facebook, Apple Maps, Weather, Weather Underground, Lyft, etc. ALL CRASH.

Apps that use the Google Maps engine, Google Maps, Uber, etc. all work fine....how ironic.

The only thing that stops the crashing is restoring the device. Now, you can backup your device while its crashing and restore from that backup and your device will start working fine again...but this doesn't fix the underlying problem that this "mapkit bug" will arise again.

My only guess at this point in the debug process is it *may* have something to do with the on-board wifi (gogo-inflight, etc.), as it is the only thing that is unique to air travel. Maybe there's a cert that its trying to install or maybe even the Fly Delta app is doing something funky with location services/mapkit. At this point I really have no idea.

I've also noticed that the location services icon (black compass mark) is on CONSTANTLY now.

I have a 128GB iPhone 6 that I restored from my iPhone 5 backup upon receiving as well.

Jan 21, 2015 2:39 PM in response to thebigtees

Ugh, YES! I'm so relieved (and sorry 😕) to know that someone else is having this exact same problem! And yeah, our friend AmishCakes up there wasn't too helpful, so I just went and cried in the corner for about an hour. It's fine.

How crazy that you also have this problem when flying! The first time I didn't become aware of it until a few hours after we'd landed, but the second time we were also pushing back from the gate and I happened to still be on the phone. ***? Although, I can confirm that the bug triggered last Friday night (1/19), about one week after the last restore/fix, and I was nowhere near a plane, I was lying in my bed and on my home wi-fi...so for what it's worth, it's not always flying that does it.

The only airline-specific app I've had installed on my phone was United, and this time upon restoring I deleted most of my travel apps, including that one. It obviously must be something else triggering the bug as the app was no longer on the phone...unless it somehow leaves traces even after deletion?

I can also confirm that my bf also has an iphone 6 that he received the same day as me, and he was also on both of those flights, and has many of the same apps, but has never had this problem.

Feb 2, 2015 8:47 PM in response to socalprincess1

I am also having the same problem when flying from Orlando to Chicago. I went to the Genius bar when I got home and was told it was corrupt software and a bad backup. I was given a new phone and told to set it up as new and add my apps later. I did this and the phone worked fine. A month later I again flew to Chicago and no sooner do I get off the plane but the Maps app and any app that uses Maps started crashing. I reset the phone, set it up as new and it worked again until the following week when I flew back to Chicago again and it happened again. I don't know what else to do. I am sure if I go to the Genius Bar again, I will be told the same stock answer that has been given here, but I guess I will try again in the hopes that others have complained and Apple is looking into this.

Feb 26, 2015 1:53 AM in response to nly10nd

I live in Orlando, iPhone 6 128gb, AT&T service, started having similar issues earlier this week but have not flown in recent months. I DO however drive quite a bit within Central Florida so not sure if moving in / out of LTE coverage may be part of it? I've had this phone and all working fine since early Jan. Upgraded from a 4S. Frustrating not having IOS map but my fix was to download and start using Google map app yesterday and I'm guessing as more folks do the same Apple will step up to the plate and get this fixed hopefully?

Mar 2, 2015 6:51 PM in response to socalprincess1

For what it is worth, I am having exactly the same problem - but it is on an iPad with the latest iOS (8.1.3) and it is WiFi only.... Facebook crashes anytime someone posts their location and the app tries displaying a map. All my Weather Underground apps also crash almost immediately on startup. And of course, the Apple map app also crashes. Google Maps is fine. Haven't taken the step yet of wiping and starting as new yet.... Not my idea of a great fix...

Mar 8, 2015 7:34 AM in response to socalprincess1

I've had the same problem. IPhone 6, version 8.1.3. I haven't flown, but yesterday every app that used maps would crash immediately after opening. I searched around and found that others were going to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings. This worked for me, and all apps are working correctly now. I tried this today, so I guess we'll see how long it lasts...

Mar 9, 2015 9:37 AM in response to Turbajr

Well, I don't know what happened - but now all the map apps on my iPad are working..... I did the "reset all settings" yesterday and all the maps apps still were crashing. The only things I did after that was to close and open some tabs in Safari and put.it on charge overnight... And this morning, I was in Face Book and noticed that a friend location map was on the screen and it had not crashed. So I tired several other map apps and they all are working now! Not sure what caused the delayed response, but it looks like the Reset did work after al. Thanks.

Mar 19, 2015 1:03 PM in response to Sarah2449

On 3/9, I finally did another backup/restore from backup to get my phone working normally again, and this time it only worked until 3/17 when I was at Disneyland. I honestly have no clue what is triggering this, but I'm seriously tired of it. It's gotten to the point where it only works for a week or so now before it breaks again.

Sarah2449, I tried your suggestion, Reset All Settings... but it didn't seem to fix my problem. You said in searching around, others did this. Have you found other threads or posts with people having this issue outside of this thread? Can you share them here?

I've made an appointment with the Genius Bar this weekend, and I'm just going to get the device replaced. At least then we can rule out whether or not it's a hardware issue, as I think it'd be a rare coincidence to get another device that is having this problem...

So frustrating!

Mar 19, 2015 3:50 PM in response to socalprincess1

Hmm...so it turns out that the Reset All Settings did fix my app crashing problem earlier today, it just wasn't an immediate fix. About 2 1/2 hours later I randomly checked the maps app and it did to my surprise load. Perhaps an easier fix than backing up and restoring, but it is definitely a pain to go back and change all your settings back, reenroll touchID, re-verify all applepay cards, etc.

I'm still going to try to get the device replaced this weekend, and I'm hoping that might somehow fix this whole issue once and for all.

iPhone 6 apps crashing - mapkit bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.