Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text messages to and from iPad Air from Android phones

Pleased help. I am not sure what's going on, but I always assumed that one could not (natively) send and receive text messages to an iPad from a non-Apple device such as an Android phone. That is certainly the case with my iPad Air 2. However, I just bought an iPad Mini 3 last week and I have been receiving and sending text messages all day to people who have Android devices. The texts show up in green, just like on my iPhone, but it works great. Now--- here's my question. How do I enable this on my iPad Air 2?

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 6:23 AM

Hello Robert,

This can be done by setting up Continuity for SMS and MMS on your iPad Air 2, as detailed below.

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6337

Cheers,

Allen

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2015 6:23 AM in response to Robert Mcdonald2

Hello Robert,

This can be done by setting up Continuity for SMS and MMS on your iPad Air 2, as detailed below.

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6337

Cheers,

Allen

Apr 25, 2016 8:47 AM in response to curioscrane4

No, it was not the original question. The OP mentioned they have an iPhone and that their iPad mini worked just like their iPhone. They were asking how to set this up with a new iPad Air 2 as presumably they had forgotten how to enable iOS and OS X continuity or were not the one who had set it up originally.

Without an iPhone, there is no way to natively receive SMS Texts on an iPad. An iPad is incapable of communicating over the cellular phone channel that SMS texts are transmitted in. With an iPhone, one can use a specific feature, called continuity, that is a feature of iOS and OS X that allows Apple iPads and computers to send and receive SMS texts by linking their devices to their iPhone. But without an iPhone, it is not available to you.

Apr 25, 2016 9:04 AM in response to Michael Black

sOrry mike, the question and answer i was looking at before i logged in was simply that and it gave an answer requiring the use of an iphone. When i logged back in only the reply screen was visible ...although with my one finger approach to typing who knows what was on the screen... Cant afford the $50 K/yr for an asst any more lol. Retirement has a nasty adjustment curve. This is a little upgrade from the Mcc System 3.1 circav 1987 Mac Plus and SE and not necessarily for the better. And definitely not better than my MacBook .or the 23 models in between.

Text messages to and from iPad Air from Android phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.