Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri missing from all settings, ipad 2 16GB, iOS 8.1.12(12B440)

Just spend the last 2+ hours on the phone trying to remotely help an older person with an iPad 2. They've had it a couple of months, so, sadly out of helpline time apparently.

Anyway, long story cut short, they'd just found out about Siri, and wanted to know how could they use it. Like an idiot, I thought it would take me 10 minutes to help.

2 hours later, we'd updated it to ios version 8.1.2(12B440). Done a reboot. Logged into icloud. Gone through all the settings. Ensured they were logged in with their Apple ID (imagine doing all this with a 72 year old - not fun!).

But no-where could we find anything about Siri, not even in Settings>restrictions.

I've not got an ios device myself, but I read multiple forum threads and guides, and here's my checklist:

Model: MC979B/A

Version 8.1.2(12B440)

Wifi on and working: Yes

Plugged in and charging: Yes

Signed into Apple and icloud: Yes

Fake product: No - purchased new from the well known department store John Lewis.

Country and settings: UK.

Saying "Hey Siri": Nothing

Holding down thumb button: Nothing.

At the end of my tether and out of ideas. The last option is to do a full hard reset; is there ANYTHING I can do to avoid that?

It's not very easy for her to get into town to John Lewis where they might help her, she doesn't want to pay the small fortune the Apple Care want for taking it into a store, but if anyone has any last resort ideas for how to find Siri before doing a hard reset, I'd be very grateful.

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.2, 16GB

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 3:14 PM

13 replies

Jan 12, 2015 3:31 PM in response to Phil0124

Oh, well thanks a bunch Apple, very helpful page you have at Get help with Siri - Apple Support which doesn't mention this AT ALL.

And at https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/siri/ there's a tiny mention right at the very bottom which says

Siri is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad with Retina display, iPad mini and iPod touch (5th generation),

How is a 70-something and a non Apple owner supposed to know whether an iPad 2 has a retina display? Why not just list the models? (as you helpful did).

Does anyone know why the restriction? Built-in obsolescence kicked in already? I mean, she's had it nearly 3 months already - perhaps she should be camping outside an Apple store all night to get the next model?!

Ugh. I mean, thanks for the help on this thread, but really not impressed with the lack of clear info on Apple's site.

Jan 12, 2015 3:41 PM in response to JimHdk

Thanks Jim; OK, that's great that you found that page, but when you Google for Siri, the first result (for me in the UK anyway) is the first link I posted which mentions NOTHING about this, and the second link is the second one I posted with the tiny line at the bottom about "ipads with Retina displays".

Anyway, I'm done in. Lesson learnt. Just reinforces my views and own choice of phone. I'd leave it there except I now have to make a phone call in the morning to say "hey, you know that thing you were really excited about because you heard you could get it on an ipad and we spend over 2 hours trying to sort out last night? Turns out Apple say you can't have it. Have a great day now!".

Wish me luck...

Jan 12, 2015 4:00 PM in response to JimHdk

Ah, I had no idea of that. The only thing is, this all started because they have major trouble figuring things out like installing apps etc (yeah, I know, but... 72!), and had heard something (on the radio I think it was) that you could say things like "Hey Siri, install Youtube from the app store".

Now, I'm just hazarding a guess, but the Google app surely wouldn't have the permissions to do the equivalent?

I suppose the acid test is to try it in the morning, but suddenly I'm feeling a bit more hopeful! Have a helpful vote 🙂

Sep 21, 2015 9:54 AM in response to bobseufert

Apple support search here is totally worthless -

im on this thread for searching iPad Air Siri -

otherwise support search has no idea what it means - if you add any detail - iOS 8.4' - now you really messed up the search to zero results.

want to really mess it up - add the model A1474 -

somewhere on this site - there's more likely 537 results of Siri on iPad Air that's not functioning or missing.

NOw now let's try - "iPad Air, Siri missing" -

Siri missing from all settings, ipad 2 16GB, iOS 8.1.12(12B440)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.