Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac wakes from sleep on its own with Yosemite

After installing Yosemite, my iMac wakes from sleep all on its own multiple times throughout the day and night. The screen does not turn on when this occurs and it goes back to sleep on its own. I figured the my energy settings may have changed after the upgrade, but nothing is different. I have no schedule set and the "wake for network access" is unchecked.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 2:53 PM

7 replies

Jan 25, 2015 12:21 PM in response to towndown

To my knowledge, any Mac that is 1. connected to power and 2. not powered down will wake periodically for the reasons I explained, and perhaps for additional reasons known only to Apple. If disabling "wake for network access" does not change anything, all I can say is that it's working as Apple intends it to work. Before you ask, I strongly discourage you from finding clever system "hacks" or workarounds to prevent your Mac from working as designed.

It may or may not be a bug. Whether it is or not though, if it bothers you, consider providing feedback to Apple.

When questions such as yours arise, it helps to look at iOS. iPads and iPhones will all periodically connect themselves for the purposes of downloading emails, Messages, alerts etc. There is no way to disable that, other than to completely power down the device, which almost no one does. Apple has been inexorably changing OS X to effectively implement iOS design features such as this – for better or worse is not for us to say.

May I ask why this concerns you? Perhaps that would lend some insight regarding possible solutions.

iMac wakes from sleep on its own with Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.