Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup Airport Express Roaming Network with non-apple router (non wireless)

I already have an exisiting non-apple router (non wireless) and would like to setup a roaming network with 3 Airport Express units.

In this instance, do I set them all up in bridge mode with the same SSID and password for each?

Would this achieve the same results as using an Apple router as per the help article?

Thanks,

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) - Apple Support

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 7:17 PM

15 replies

Mar 28, 2017 2:11 PM in response to jkliewer

would the non-apple wireless router simply act as another wireless access point in my roaming network?

Yes, assuming that the device was set up to provide a wireless network that uses the exact same wireless network name, same wireless security and same password as the other access points in the roaming network.

But.....if you already have another access point located near the modem/router, then it would make no sense to also have the modem/router providing the same wireless signal.

Keep in mind that Macs will usually....but not always....."switch" wireless access points as the Mac moves about the house. You still might need to temporarily turn off the WiFi at the Mac when you change locations with the Mac and then turn the WiFi back on......so the Mac will hopefully pick up the signal from the closest access point.

Jan 13, 2015 10:59 AM in response to Mick_82

In this instance, do I set them all up in bridge mode with the same SSID and password for each?

All of the AirPorts will be set up to:

1) Create a wireless network

2) Use the same SSID or wireless network name

3) Use the same wireless security setting

4) Use the same password

5) Use Automatic Channel settings

6) Operate in Bridge Mode

Depending on which version of AirPort Utility that you are using......whether it be a 5.x version or a 6.x version.....or whether you might be using an iPhone or iPad to set up the AirPorts, the setup application will take care of some of the items above automatically.

The support article that you reference is unfortunately 3+ years out of date....and it makes some assumptions that might not be correct for your current setup. For example, the article assumes that you will be connecting an AirPort router to a simple modem....and you are not.....since you will be connecting AirPorts to another router.

The support article also assumes that you are using an older operating system on your Mac computer.....Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x).....or a PC, and you may not be doing this.

So, while the support article provides some good basic information about a roaming network configuration......it does not really tell you "how" to set up a roaming network if you are using any of the more recent Mac operating systems or an iPad or iPhone for the setup.

if you need some assistance with your setup, we will need to know what operating system your Mac is using, or whether you are using a PC for the setup, or whether you prefer to set up the AirPorts using an iPhone or iPad.

Jan 13, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Very interesting.......I too am wanting to (extend for better coverage) my WIFI network that is being created by my Apple Airport Extreme (4th Gen). The modem/router that Comcast is providing me is providing the DHCP/NAT functions so I have my AAE in Bridge Mode. I have a Apple Airport Express that I have connected with Cat6 Ethernet cable to my AAE and need to figure out how to exactly set up my AExpress so that is can extend the wifi network from my AAExtreme. Thanks

Jan 14, 2015 4:50 AM in response to Mick_82

Will this behave in exactly the same way as a setup with an Apple Router?

Yes

Just want to make sure handover between wireless access points is totally seamless.

Macs will usually do a good job of automatically switching between wireless access points as they move from one area to another, but devices like the iPhone and iPad....which use a different type of operating system....usually will not switch seamlessly as they move about.

With the iOS devices, you will likely have to temporarily turn off the WiFi on the iOS device when you move it from one area to another, then turn the WiFi back on at the new location so that the iOS device will hopefully pick up the signal from the closest access point.

Jan 29, 2015 5:02 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the great suggestions on the setup of AE and extending my network with my AirPort Express, it works perfect now! My question and concern is regarding the setup and behavior of Non AP's being introduced to the AE. Here is my setup: I have a large training area where 50-100 people come together with smart devices and need to access the internet. Currently I have Comcast providing a Netgear CG3000DCR modem/router providing DHCP and NAT. Attached to the router I have my AExtreme set with Bridge Mode and extending my Apple network to my AExpress and this is working perfectly. Coming off the Lan ports of AE I have two (2) Open-Mesh MR900 AP which are set at Bridge Mode also and they are providing two WIFI networks (Guest and Private) that have nothing to do with my Apple wifi network. The problem is that both Comcast and the technical response team at OpenMesh both agree that the OpenMesh AP's do not work well with the Netgear CG3000DCR modem/router when it is acting as the router. The OM AP's lose the internet connection when over 30 users try and attach to either the guest or private wifi networks and I have to reboot the AP's and update the network to regain access to the internet. Even though the OM AP's lose connection, the AE and the Apple WIFI network it is providing continues to perform flawlessly.

My question is would the AE be able to handle the routing of the 50-100 users attaching at the same time if I were to set the AE up as handling the DHCP and NAT rather than just in Bridge Mode as it is currently and then set the Comcast Netgear CG3000DCR up as just a modem/Bridge Mode? I'm hoping that this will work or I will need to contact Comcast about replacing the Netgear with another box that will not cause the problem I'm experiencing now.

Thanks

Jan 29, 2015 5:06 AM in response to Andyurquhart

My question is would the AE be able to handle the routing of the 50-100 users attaching at the same time if I were to set the AE up as handling the DHCP and NAT rather than just in Bridge Mode as it is currently and then set the Comcast Netgear CG3000DCR up as just a modem/Bridge Mode?

In theory yes, but whether it will work better than your current setup, I cannot say.

Setup Airport Express Roaming Network with non-apple router (non wireless)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.