Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solved: Safari frequently hangs with spinning beachball

TL/DR: Make sure your iCloud sync account is set up correctly, it can cause annoying Safari hangs.

I have been struggling with this one for a while and finally debugged it. So, I wanted to post the details here to aid any future searches for help.

Symptoms: Safari frequently hangs for 1-2 minutes after clicking on a link. It becomes unresponsive, but has the dreaded spinning beachball. Eventually that will stop, and the browser is usable again, but the hangs will recur often. Basically, Safari becomes unusable. I let the problem drag on for a long time, because I wad just using Chrome and Firefox instead.

I checked all the normal network, DNS, plugins/extensions, reboot, etc. But, nothing helped and all the settings were correct. Later, I noticed some iCloud errors in a system log and it occurred to me that it could be iCloud's browsing sync that could be the cause. Safari tries to sync the tab state of all browsers so they are available on your other devices. I like the feature, but it was the root of my problems.

I went into system settings and checked my account - triggering an iCloud authentication. It then triggered 4-5 other authentications, I guess one for each of the iCloud sync services. I also went into iPhoto and updated the iCloud settings there, because that was what the original iCloud logs I saw were for. But, I guess in the general case you should be able to get it updated by disabling then re-enabling iCloud in system settings.

MacBook Pro 15" Core2 Duo 2.16, 2GB; CoreDuo Mini; PPC 1.42 Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 7:47 PM

1 reply

Mar 2, 2015 9:35 PM in response to Todd I

Spoke too soon.. Initially Safari was running much better, but it got worse and within a short amount of time it reverted back to the previous behavior.

I deleted all my history/cookies/etc. and that temporarily helps. But, it quickly returns to the poor behavior. Now Safari is pretty much unusable. It constantly hangs for 20-30-60 seconds, completely unresponsive to any input. I would avoid it completely if not for my system keychain having many of my passwords. But, as I migrate those passwords over to Chrome the Safari usage will continue to decline.

Solved: Safari frequently hangs with spinning beachball

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.