Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone changing its name on it's own

This is a very minute problem so don't feel the need to help me out before anyone else, but everytime i plug my iPhone 6 into my computer, it will automatically change its name to iPhone (2) rather than just "iPhone" which is what i have it set to, even if i set it back to that myself if i unplug it and plug it back in it changes back to that. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 7:59 PM

3 replies

Jan 13, 2015 12:57 AM in response to ctgbarker

Seems like you connected an iPhone to your computer before you got the new one. I suppose, this device had the same name ( iPhone) so in order to keep the devices separate, iTunes names the newer device iPhone (2).

Changing the name of the phone to something else than iPhone should do the trick:

Change the name of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Jun 19, 2015 4:57 PM in response to Derryl S

I'm having the same issue with two different iPhones. Both are 6's running iOS 8.3. I've tried changing the name of my phone to various different things, but it doesn't matter what I name the phone, after some amount of time (I've yet to narrow this down yet) the phone will modify the name appending a number inside of parenthesis.

Would love to know how to resolve this issue permanently!

iPhone changing its name on it's own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.