Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't log into iMessage or Facetime

I can no longer log into FaceTime or iMessage. FaceTime used to work fine and I was also previously able use the messaging function. I think the change to IOS 8 compelled the setup of iMessage. They both refuse to work now. I can't log in to either of these. I've read the official Apple trouble shooter which tells you to turn them off and reset the device, but there is no option to turn them off in the related setting tab. This is for iPad Air not an iPhone. Apparently the screens are different. This issue seems to have been around for quite a while. Any resolution? I can't find one! Help!

iPad Air, iOS 8

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 7:08 PM

44 replies

Jan 13, 2015 4:00 AM in response to Veedubbayou

Just so you understand, the iPhone was the original iOS device. iOS stands for iPhone Operating System, in fact. So all of the Apple kb articles talk about the iPhone but the information applies to all of the iOS devices, meaning the iPhone, iPad and the iPod Touch. Don't get hung up on the fact that Apple emphasizes the phone in the support articles. The information in the support articles applies to all of these devices.

The iPhone and iPod Touch screens are similar. The iPad is a little bit different but the iPad has a lot more real estate that it can use for the settings so the phone and the iPod have to make use of the smaller screen in a little different way.

Since nobody here knows what "all of the published remedies" are, what else do you expect others to suggest? 😉

Jan 13, 2015 5:08 AM in response to Demo

When the menus suggested are different or features are not available on a different device, then I don't know how to implement recommended fixes. For example, the Apple resolution says, First turn off FaceTime in Settings, Facetime. When I go there, I have no option to turn off Facetime. Same for iMessage, the ONLY options I have there are to log in and when I enter my password I get the "Error occured, try again" result. I have also read other long remedial procedures that say to log out of Wi Fi and finish the process using only G3 or G4. My iPad has no cellular connection capability, so clearly I cannot utilize this method. So, that advice doesn't apply to my iPad in that case. So, I don't think I'm getting "hung up" on what device is specified, I simply do not know how to implement the suggestions when the menus differ or capability is not available to me on this device.

I'm guessing the reset suggested above (which I have now tried) though has indeed turned off these services and then did the reset which has not resolved the issue. So the official Apple method has also not worked. I'd rather not wipe the ipad if possible. I do appreciate all suggestions.

Jan 13, 2015 6:57 AM in response to Veedubbayou

I Suggested that you not get hung up on the references to the iPhone simply because the steps are the same for the devices, unless they don't apply like in the case of using cellular. The way that the settings look are different on the devices but they work the same way on each device.

I know that you are correct about not being able to turn the settings off, because the only way that they can be turned off, is if they are turned on in the first place. Sometimes, Apple's troubleshooting steps do not make sense and this is one of those instances.

SInce you don't have a cellular device, have you tried setting Messages and FaceTime up using another WiFi network? Have you tried resetting your router by unplugging it from power for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in again?

You haven't described what happens when you try to sign in and that might be helpful.

Jan 13, 2015 8:33 AM in response to Demo

I'm not trying to be argumentative Demo so sorry if it came off sounding that way. I simply do not understand how to proceed in cases when options suggested are not available or device capability is also not available. I appreciate your help.

I have not tried a different network, however, Facetime worked fine previously on this ipad and only quit after trying to get iMessage up and running. Both of these services also work fine on my wife's ipad and her iphone on the same network. It therefore seems the network is capable of supporting these services. I did try resetting the router with no change however.

What happens when I go to either Facetime or iMessage is I am prompted to log in. My Apple ID is already present in the field for it, I enter my password and receive an error that says: "FaceTime Activation An error occurred during activation. Try again." The same thing happens in iMessage except the heading is iMessage Activation. My only available option is to click the OK in the error dialog.

A few more details. I was trying to get iMessage activated when this issue started. I was also previously able to message between this ipad and my wife's ipad with the prior Message service. When I installed IOS 8 it wanted me to set up iMessage. When initially trying to do that, it gave me an error saying the email address I was trying to use was already in use. Indeed, it was on my Facetime account. I didn't think this was an issue since both Facetime and the old messaging service were able to utilize the same email address, this is how the ipad was initially setup. After getting the email address already in use error, it has now seemingly locked both services and I can't log into either one.

From what I've read previously having the date and time zone properly set is relevant. I've done that. The Reset All Settings suggested above should have logged me out of everything and reset the ipad. Which it seemed to have done. This follows with the Apple recommendations, however, this also has not resolved the issue.

Jan 13, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Veedubbayou

I Did not take your statements as being argumentative so please do not apologize for anything. I was just trying to clarify things.

It seems to me that you have done virtually everything that you can in order to try to resolve this situation and restoring the iOS a probably should be your next step. I have restored several devices to factory settings and while it does take some time - maybe hours doe ending on how much content is on the device - it is not as intimidating as it seems. Now I don't mean seem like I am talking down to you, if you already know this or if you have restored a device in the past. If you have, then you will know what I mean. It is a bit of a pain and can take a couple or a few hours to complete the process.

Are you signed into your iCloud account in the settings?

Jan 13, 2015 11:00 AM in response to Demo

Demo, I have restored this iPad previously which is why I'm a bit reluctant to do it again. I had done a backup to my PC before the restore and THEN found out GarageBand restores on a PC are not recoverable on the iPad. I lost a lot of work due to that. I have done a iCloud backup recently but I'm still leery of losing a huge investment I have in another app I use very frequently. I don't know if there are issues with restoring data on that app or not but I do know I don't want to re-do all the work I've done in it. Facetime and messaging are kind of toys for me anyway but I'd still like them to work. 😟 Thanks again for your suggestions. Looks like I may have another restore in my future at some point.

Jan 13, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Veedubbayou

I Know nothing about GarageBand but I certainly understand your apprehension with regard to losing important data of any kind. I have never lost anything, but to ne perfectly honest, I don't do any real complex work on my iPad.

A couple of things to double check.... Can you download anything in the iStores on the iPad? No issues there? Did you sign out of your Apple ID, shut the iPad down for a couple of minutes, then restart and sign in again?

I just can't think of anything else that would be of help at this point.

Can't log into iMessage or Facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.