Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I uninstall Bing if I cannot find the program?

I downloaded firefox in order to do some work on a website that does not support Safari. I don't like firefox and the way my browser looks. I thought I had deleted it, but my browser still looks the same and I cannot find the program anywhere on my Mac. Also it keeps reverting back to Bing as my search engine no matter how many times I select Google in my system preferences. I can't figure out how to uninstall Bing or find that program on my Mac either. Please help.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), Other OS, OS X 10.10.1

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 9:22 PM

2 replies

Jan 12, 2015 10:14 PM in response to gettingveryupsetwithapple

If the cause of this issue was due to choosing Bing from the alternative search engines

listed in FireFox, you may consider re-installing FireFox and use its browse search

choice settings to change the default search engine. Or look into the plist and preference

files that relate to those browser search engine choices to see if they remain and are

active in the computer; as those may affect another browser. If the browser did make a

change in the default browser, and you could reinstall the browser & change it, then

be sure to follow their rules on removing FireFox browser correctly; no parts left behind.

You may have not completely removed FireFox, and its support files. If the issue is Bing

that may include other symptoms of a different problem. See if you followed removal

instructions from Mozilla FireFox site: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox

example:

•Uninstall Firefox from your computer

Did you look into somewhat similar ASC discussions about Bing, Safari & etc?

how do I uninstall bing

HOW DO I UNINSTALL BING?

{There usually is a 'manage search engines' section in most browsers. The issue you have

may not be due to this; but it could be. Another problem appears to be this, and it may be

Adware or some other malware.... see site link below for resolving those kinds of trouble.}

Since I use more than one browser, some for different content, I've tried to avoid instance

of using browsers whose preferences may overlap. However, in Mavericks 10.9.5, I have

both the latest FireFox and Safari; I de-selected Bing. Not an issue. Then again, if push

comes to shove, my circumstances differ; as I have an option to be rid of the computer.

However if you happen to have one or another kind of adware or other add-on or extension

that is essentially a problem, that may be redirecting your browser to a search engine not

of your choosing. And if that is the case, there may be other things going on. Visiting web

sites where click on content could have been doctored and not true to purpose, you may

have downloaded something untoward in your Mac that has nothing to do with FireFox.

There are Tech Guides in this site: http://thesafemac.com on the right side; these include

three general areas: adware, malware, + performance guides. Also, note there is a link

separate of these, for Adware Medic. This is a useful item, in some instances. However

the adware and malware guides at TheSafeMac can help you troubleshoot/remove most

of the irksome adware or items such as they are which could redirect a search engine.

Those affect the browser usually, but could do other things.

So the issue may be something else than a problem due to FireFox. The symptom sounds

like another thing and that's why I mention the Tech Guides on that site.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

edited 2x

Jan 13, 2015 9:16 PM in response to gettingveryupsetwithapple

You may have installed the "Genieo" or "InstallMac" ad-injection malware. Follow the instructions on this Apple Support page to remove it.

Back up all data before making any changes.

Besides the files listed in the linked support article, you may also need to remove this file in the same way:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieo.completer.ltvbit.plist

If there are other items with a name that includes "Genieo" or "genieo" alongside any of those you find, remove them as well.

One of the steps in the article is to remove malicious Safari extensions. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

After removing the malware, remember to reset your home page in all the web browsers affected, if it was changed.

If you don't find any of the files or extensions listed, or if removing them doesn't stop the ad injection, then you may have one of the other kinds of adware covered by the support article. Follow the rest of the instructions in the article.

Make sure you don't repeat the mistake that led you to install the malware. Chances are you got it from an Internet cesspit such as "Softonic" or "CNET Download." Never visit either of those sites again. You might also have downloaded it from an ad in a page on some other site. The ad would probably have included a large green button labeled "Download" or "Download Now" in white letters. The button is designed to confuse people who intend to download something else on the same page. If you ever download a file that isn't obviously what you expected, delete it immediately.

In the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences, select the General tab. The radio button marked Anywhere should not be selected. If it is, click the lock icon to unlock the settings, then select one of the other buttons. After that, don't ignore a warning that you are about to run or install an application from an unknown developer.

Still in System Preferences, open the App Store or Software Update pane and check the box marked

Install system data files and security updates (OS X 10.10 or later)

or

Download updates automatically (OS X 10.9 or earlier)

if it's not already checked.

How can I uninstall Bing if I cannot find the program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.