Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon Inkjet Printer Software Update created problems

I was surprised to see an update from the Mac App Store entitled, "Canon Inkjet Printer Software Update", as I don't have a Canon inkjet. However, I do have a Canon CanoScan LiDE 700F scanner, which has been working fine for the past year. Since the update contained the words "Software Update" I figured maybe I should install it even though I don't have an inkjet scanner. I installed it on two of my three Apple computer and it caused big problems. 100 % of the time the first document scans fine, but when attempting to scan the second document a message stating "Searching for Scanner" gets displayed. About one minutes later this message gets replaced by: "The scanner is not available while in use by another application or user. 249.0.0" The computer that still has the pre-updated Canon software still works fine when I scan, so it's not a hardware problem.

FYI, the "last modified" dates on all the Canon files my old computer, the one that did not have the new Canon software update are 11/11/13.

The updated computers have a "last modified" date of 4/29/14. Unless someone comes up with a solid solution, I'll restore the Canon files from my Time Machine backup.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 7:52 AM

Howdy PapaCat,

It sounds like you are unable to consitently print from your inkjet printer. I would recommend the troubleshooting in the following article, named:

Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X

1. Make sure that the printer is powered on, has ink / toner, and that there are no alerts on the printer’s control panel. Note: If you cannot clear an alert on the printer's control panel, stop here and check the printer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for support.
  2. Ensure the printer is properly connected to a USB port on the Mac or AirPort base station / Time Capsule. If the printer is a network-capable printer, make sure that it is properly connected to your home network.
  3. Use Software Update to find and install the latest available updates. If an update is installed, see if the issue persists.
  4. Open the Print & Scan pane or Print & Fax (Snow Leopard) pane in System Preferences.
  5. Delete the affected printer, then add the printer again.

If the issue persists, try these additional steps:

1. Reset the printing system, then add the printer again.
  2. If the issue still persists, reset the printing system again. Download and install your printer's drivers. Then, add the printer again.
  3. Contact the printer vendor or visit their website for further assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2015 7:52 AM in response to PapaCat

Howdy PapaCat,

It sounds like you are unable to consitently print from your inkjet printer. I would recommend the troubleshooting in the following article, named:

Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X

1. Make sure that the printer is powered on, has ink / toner, and that there are no alerts on the printer’s control panel. Note: If you cannot clear an alert on the printer's control panel, stop here and check the printer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for support.
  2. Ensure the printer is properly connected to a USB port on the Mac or AirPort base station / Time Capsule. If the printer is a network-capable printer, make sure that it is properly connected to your home network.
  3. Use Software Update to find and install the latest available updates. If an update is installed, see if the issue persists.
  4. Open the Print & Scan pane or Print & Fax (Snow Leopard) pane in System Preferences.
  5. Delete the affected printer, then add the printer again.

If the issue persists, try these additional steps:

1. Reset the printing system, then add the printer again.
  2. If the issue still persists, reset the printing system again. Download and install your printer's drivers. Then, add the printer again.
  3. Contact the printer vendor or visit their website for further assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Jan 14, 2015 8:06 AM in response to sterling r

Hi Sterling R:

Thanks for your reply. The problem has nothing to do with an inkjet printer, mainly because I don't have one. As soon as I installed an update that came through the Mac App Store, I was unable to use my Canon scanner. The description of the Mac App Store update was a little confusing, but after I read that it contained an update to printer AND scanner software, I decided to install it. Everything went down hill from that point on. It made both of my computers, a MacBook Air, and my 27" iMac unable to scan. Fortunately, I did not install the update on my old 20" iMac, so I was able to use that one.

To make a very long story short, neither a prolonged discussion with Canon, which involved downloading and installing drivers and software, nor a briefer talk with Apple Tech Support was able to solve the problem while on the phone. However, kudos to Stuart in Apple Tech Support, who was able to describe a fix that was 100% guaranteed to work. I had to restore both computers from a Time Machine backup prior to installing the Mac App Store update. This took more than 17 hours, but it worked. Previously I had tried to merely delete and restore just the Canon stuff, but that didn't work. A complete restore of the entire drive did the trick. I see they removed the troublesome update from the Mac App Store, so no one else should run into this problem.

Thanks again.

PapaCat

Canon Inkjet Printer Software Update created problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.