Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP with Sony SRS-x5 Bluetooth Speaker

Having major bluetooth pairing problems with my new Apple Mac PRO and recently bought Sony SRS-X5 portable bluetooth speaker.

Both devices happily pair with other bluetooth devices (e,g, MAC PRO with Sony Bluetooth headphones DR BT-101) but NOT MBP and Sony SRS-X5 TOGETHER!!

I'm fairly certain I'm doing the right stuff to enable it to happen but no luck yet.

Any advice please as there's precious little on either Sony or Apple web support pages.

Rgds

Alan Mac

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 5:46 AM

18 replies

Jan 14, 2015 9:10 AM in response to amalanmac

Greetings amalanmac,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro. I know it's irritating when new devices don't seem to be communicating or behaving as they should, and the following advice may be helpful.

It sounds like you've already searched the Support site for troubleshooting tips, but be sure to try all of the steps mentioned in the "Additional Bluetooth help" section of this article:

Bluetooth Quick Assist - Apple Support

I'd start with these particular steps:

1. Check for a Bluetooth update
    To check for new software, choose Software Update from the Apple menu (make sure that your computer is connected to the Internet). If newer Apple Bluetooth software exists, Software Update will prompt you to install it. To install an update, select the checkbox next to the software name and then click Install.
  2. Reduce potential signal interference
    Because Bluetooth works by transmitting signals through the air, some things can interfere with connections. Avoid situations in which metal objects come between your device and computer. Don't put your computer under a metal desk or in a metal cabinet. Keep your computer away from cordless phone base stations, microwave ovens, and other electrical devices that operate on a 2.4 GHz bandwidth. Make sure that your device and computer aren't more than 30 feet apart from each other.
  3. Restart your computer
    Sometimes a simple restart of your Mac is all it takes to get things running smoothly again. You may also want to try resetting your computer's PRAM and NVRAM.
  4. Reset your Bluetooth device
    Try turning your device off and then on again. If that doesn't resolve the issue, see if you can reset your device—refer to the documentation that came with your device for instructions.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Jan 14, 2015 12:59 PM in response to jeremy_v

Jeremy

Thanks for your timely response and suggestions. However, I have covered most of these items already before I asked for help - I should've made that clear.

1. MY MBP patching is up to date.

2. My MBP and Sony speaker are sitting next to each other and have in fact communicated with a few bits of other bluetooth tech in these positions (even a Android phone works with both). Although i have moved them too just to be totally certain with not luck.

3. My MBP has been rebooted on numerous occasions but I did newly try resetting the NVRAM again with no luck

4 I have reset the Sony device (no luck) and have submitted a support call to them with a less than helpful conclusion referring me to the manual (which I had done anyway before to check the obvious).

I can even see my neighbours TV bluetooth signal on my MBP but not the Sony speaker sitting right next to the box. It doesnt appear to be a generic Sony issue either as my Sony BT headphones and Sony BT TV soundbar all sync'ed first time.

I'm stumped TBH!

Nov 5, 2016 3:41 AM in response to amalanmac

Hi,

Did the solution of turning bluetooth for the macbook pro off and on again whilst the speaker is in pairing mode work for everyone?

This solution has not worked for me. To be honest I've had ongoing issues pairing the bluetooth speaker with the macbook pro for 2 years and I've spent countless hours fixing it each time but I've hit a brick wall on this occassion. None of the previous methods have worked.

Has anyone got any suggestions not already listed?

I've tried:

resetting the factory settings on the sony (srs x3)

resetting pram and nvram on the mac

debugging bluetooth on the mac (resetting bluetooth module and removing all paired devices - very annoying for the other devices paired with the macbok).

turning the mac on and off

accepting all apple updates

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

MBP with Sony SRS-x5 Bluetooth Speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.