Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I "selectively" restore my iPhone 6 Plus backup onto my iPhone 5?

Hey guys,

I have backed up my iPhone 6 Plus 128GB to my laptop and now I want to restore this backup onto my old iPhone 5 16GB model. But, I only want the Contacts, Notes & Apps from my 6 Plus Backup to be restored onto my iPhone 5 because my iPhone 5 16GB has too little storage and so the whole 6 Plus backup won't fit. How can I do this?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 8:21 AM

14 replies

Sep 22, 2017 9:27 AM in response to Chris CA

Hi Chris,

yes, you are correct re the fact that Apple ITunes uses the jargon Sync to substitute for the computer term "backup". However, those who are working with full-sized computers "think" in terms of; copy, move, transfer, restore, etc. So, with Sync, the definition is "make the same, therefore when you sync a phone with the desktop's iTunes, the sync will make the iPhone the same as the version stored on the desktop. So something is lost in the translation.

I purchased my wife a new iPhone 7+, and when the Target mobile Tech restored the phone it made the new iPhone the "same" except that they would not "transfer" my uploaded CD's that were on the old iPhone.

Bottom-line, the term "Sync" used by iTunes is incorrect, or all the music would have been synced.

Sep 27, 2017 2:12 PM in response to HarryKat

HarryKat wrote:

I purchased my wife a new iPhone 7+, and when the Target mobile Tech restored the phone it made the new iPhone the "same" except that they would not "transfer" my uploaded CD's that were on the old iPhone.

It sounds like you had Target set up your wife's iPhone with her iCloud backup over Wi-Fi. That takes care of most things like phone settings, which apps to load, apps themselves, app data, etc. But media files like music that you previously synced from iTunes can only be re-loaded from your iTunes library, which can't be done from Target unless you brought along a laptop with her iTunes library installed.

Jan 13, 2015 8:47 AM in response to craigsequeira

craigsequeira wrote:

Hey guys,

I have backed up my iPhone 6 Plus 128GB to my laptop and now I want to restore this backup onto my old iPhone 5 16GB model. But, I only want the Contacts, Notes & Apps from my 6 Plus Backup to be restored onto my iPhone 5

You don't restore notes & contacts.

You just sync them using iCloud.

You can sync whatever apps you want.

May 7, 2015 8:51 PM in response to Kaymarrreer

Kaymarrreer wrote:

If you have backed up your iPhone before the jailbreaking

What jailbreak?

Kaymarrreer wrote:

then you can recover contacts and notes by restoring your iPhone with the iTunes or iCloud backup file.

Unless the backup is larger than currnet device.

And contacts are stored in the backup only as part of Recent calls.

And the post was 5 months ago...

How can I "selectively" restore my iPhone 6 Plus backup onto my iPhone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.