Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Local server Jabbar account stays offline

Hey all,

I have one Yosemite user whose local server OS X Jabbar account refuses to go online. In past experience disabling the account, quitting app and then enabling the account has worked to fix the problem (which is quite common on previous X OSes).

However with Yosemite it absolutely refuses. I've tried deleting, then reconnecting her server account, the above method including turning SSL off then on again, using "automatically find server and port", disabling that as well, juggling bunnies, changing the SSL settings to port 443, everything I can throw at it mentioned in previous threads - no dice.

Anyone know of a fix? Much appreciated!

Tony

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Server

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 9:03 AM

3 replies

Jan 13, 2015 1:19 PM in response to MrOchie

Hi,

Earlier versions seemed to do TLS if not doing SSL when using port 5222

I have seen no evidence that Yosemite's version of Messages 8 (on the basis it is so different from the Mavericks version) that it is in use.

I have seen a thread where the option to Automatically Find Port And Server also did not seem to work in Yosemite (this may have been linked to not using TLS though)

I presume the server is set to allow either SSL on port 5223 and non SSL login on port 5222 ?

As you have tried port 443 I presume you allowed that as well ?

User uploaded file

9:19 pm Tuesday; January 13, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jan 14, 2015 4:21 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks Ralph!

Yes, the server is set either / or those ports.

443 does not work, SSL or not.

I've seen that other thread about the Auto Find and that's doesn't make a difference.

The frustrating thing is that the user will turn around and it's working again. And sometimes persists across reboots, but often not.

I'm just wondering if this is also might be due to the replacement of mDNSresponder with discoveryd .

If it doesn't get resolved with the next update I'll probably resort to reinstating MDNSResponder from her TM backup and see if that doesn't make the fix.

Thanks, I will keep thread open for updates.

Tony

Jan 15, 2015 11:33 AM in response to MrOchie

Hi,

I had not picked up on the end of mDNS (Bonjour effectively) which has been linked directly to DNS in the past.

OS X: How to disable Bonjour service advertising without disabling DNS - Apple Support

However I did find this and I don't know if will be helpful.

http://osxdaily.com/2014/11/20/flush-dns-cache-mac-os-x/

User uploaded file

7:33 pm Thursday; January 15, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Local server Jabbar account stays offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.