Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot import music to itunes 12

I recently installed/updated to itunes 12, and I can now only import some music from my computer to the new itunes and not others. In previous versions I've had no problem moving files from computer to itunes to ipod. After the update, some files just will not transfer. No error box appears when attempting transfer, they just don't appear in the library.

To be clear, some tracks will transfer and some will not, from the same album. And there is zero indication as to why.

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 12:37 PM

15 replies

Jan 15, 2015 3:59 PM in response to glfhasd-fhasdf__

A couple of possibilities:

• If the metadata (artist, album, song title, etc.) is missing or incorrect in the mp3 files you're adding they may be in your library but not where you expect to see them (in many cases they'll end up in "Unknown Album" by "Unknown Artist", or may just appear at the end of the library with no artist or album info). To check for this:
    • switch to the Songs view of your complete library and sort by Date Added (or create a Smart Playlist that selects only songs added in the time period when the problem occurs) - do you see anything among the most recently added songs that look like your "missing" songs (i.e., they'd have a similar datetime stamp to the ones that were imported OK)?
    • if you've configured iTunes to copy newly imported media to your iTunes Media folders, search in Windows Explorer for the mp3 files that are missing (again, they may show up in iTunes Media\Music\Unknown Artist\Unknown Album)
  • To see if the mp3 files themselves are corrupted or have some characteristics that are incompatible with iTunes, try copying the whole album to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder within iTunes Media If iTunes is running it'll try to add them to your library immediately, otherwise this will happen when you next start iTunes. Any files that iTunes can't import will be moved to a folder Automatically Add to iTunes\Not Added in a subfolder named by the date and time at which the error occurred. This won't tell you why the files haven't been added, but you may then be able to check the files in other software to see what's wrong with them.

Since you say that some files are being added OK, the other "likely suspects" - read-only folders and/or Windows permissions issues - don't seem to be the case here.

Mar 29, 2015 10:55 AM in response to hhgttg27

Hi,

same to me: before updating to itunes 12 I could import AAC to my NAS. Now only mp3 works...

Now I click on import and an error occurs.

Translated from German it sounds similar to "During converting an error occured. An unknown error occured (-39)."

I can play the music from my Audio CD but importing is unpossible. So the drive is still beeing recognized.

Virus detection is off, itunes library can be modified manually...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

(Windows7)

Mar 29, 2015 1:24 PM in response to OdyMiles

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Mar 30, 2015 6:55 AM in response to OdyMiles

Reinstalling the software is a standard troubleshooting step when it doesn't behave as it should in all aspects. It might be a single library file that has been omitted from the installation, but without knowing which a full tear down and rebuild is the way to go. You might also find there is something about your system which means that the "for older video cards" version works properly if the full 64-bit version does not.

tt2

Jul 7, 2016 3:42 AM in response to glfhasd-fhasdf__

Flat out -- it doesn't work.

Here's what I did: Import the CD using Windows Media Player, then import the folder into iTunes.

Open Windows Media Player and import the CD there to a temporary folder. In my case, the CD was imported without the CD/DVD drive stopping and starting like in iTunes. It took minutes, not hours.

Once the import was complete, I went to iTunes and had it import the folder. (I allow iTunes to manage my library, so this took care of copying the folder to the proper directory structure in my iTunes library.)

This works. Same hardware. The only difference is the software. I'm not willing to waste any more time to figure out what Apple did wrong.

cannot import music to itunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.