Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Going back from Yosemite to Snow Leopard

Hi,

I know similar questions have been asked to death, but I have read all the instructions on the web and still having problem with this.

First of all, my laptop is a macbook pro 15" late 2008/early 2009. And it still has the original HDD drive it came with.

Secondly, due to the fact that I dropped my laptop a couple of years' back, the DVD player doesn't work, so I've made a usb installer for Snow Leopard.

So to go back to Snow Leopard I followed the instruction of first erasing/partitioning my disk by going to Recovery. First problem occurred because I couldn't partition or erase the main hard drive (not the macintosh HD, but the parent folder which is the Toshiba or something, I can't remember now). I got the "could not unmount disk" error. So I erased the macintosh HD instead. That went smoothly. Then restarted with the option key again and selected the Snow Leopard installer. Everything goes well until when I have to choose the volume in which I have to install, the only available option being the macintosh HD, but I get an error that macintosh HD can't be used to startup from. So I went back to Recovery (and under the Recovery it says 10.10 recovery, so I guess Yosemite isn't completely gone) I have an option for reinstalling OS X, which of course is Yosemite, which seems to be working fine for now (although it's taking 5 hrs). So I'm going back to Yosemite again.

So I'm wondering what the problem is? Is my hard drive damaged (perhaps from when I dropped it a few years ago)? Or there is some other way that I can try this? I really can't go back to Yosemite, nothing works there, and this is my work computer!

Thank you for the help, and for reading this long message to the end!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 12:38 PM

3 replies

Feb 19, 2015 6:54 AM in response to mehregan.ameri

Eric, I tried selecting the top level drive and that's what I couldn't unmount.

I just tried using the terminal, both logged in as admin and in recovery mode. I used the "sudo diskutil unmountDisk diskname" command, but keep getting an error which says "at least one volume could not be unmounted"

Do you know how I can unmount the drive?

Going back from Yosemite to Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.