Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running iPhone apps on ipad in full resolution

Ssome apps out there are only available for iPhone (not a universal app) and run at iPhome 4S resolution on my iPad Air. Given that the iPad has a higher resolution than the iPhone 6+, why can't we run iPhone apps on iPad at one of the higher resolutions?

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 5:19 PM

That is a question for the app developer. Ask them.

~Lyssa

15 replies

Jan 13, 2015 6:02 PM in response to Lyssa

I'm sorry you may have misinterpreted my question.

When a developer makes an iPhone app, its usually made to run at various screen resolutions. These include the small iPhone 4S, the taller iPhone 5/5S, the larger iPhone 6 and largest of them all, the iPhone 6+.

Take any app and you'll see how it sizes differently on an iPhone 6+ than it would on an iPhone 4S.

Now the issue I'm having is when you take that app, and run it on an iPad. The iPad will choose to run it at iPhone 4S size when there is clearly enough space for it to run at iPhone 6+ size. The developer has already written the app to be compatible with the 6+ but the iPad still chooses to render it in a tiny iPhone 4S display.

See where the problem is?

Jan 13, 2015 6:34 PM in response to rcrez

Still, it's up to the app developer to code their app to either be universal or fit within the limits Apple provides.

Apple will not comment on how they do things so it's up to the developer.

Some apps have HD versions, which are the ones optimized for iPad screens. The downside is, of course, that you have to buy both the iPhone and HD version.

Jan 13, 2015 7:11 PM in response to Skydiver119

What you're suggesting is putting more work on every single developer out there to build custom iPad apps when all Apple has to do is flick a switch and iPhone apps can run at 6+ resolution on iPad instead of their outdated 4S resolution.

Apple created the ability for iPhone apps to run on iPad, but they've seem to forgotten to update it in many years as screen sizes have changed. Am I correct?

Jan 14, 2015 9:30 AM in response to ToastyFlake

Take a look at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B11C2fxrYl2ySWk3eFJ2el9Kbzh6bFlCem9Ed1d2MVYzWFk 4/view?usp=sharing

This is Google Voice. There is no iPad version. It is only available on iPhone. On the left I have an iPhone 5S and on the right is the iPad. As you can see, more content is visible on the 5S. I don't need to show the 6 or 6+ as they would show even more content. It clearly illustrates the iPad is running Google Voice at 4S resolution when it could run it at 5S or greater.

Jan 14, 2015 5:52 PM in response to rcrez

That does look pretty clunky. I wonder if it defaults to the 4s resolution because the aspect ratio is closer to the iPad. When you use the 2x function on the iPad the 4s resolution nearly fills the screen. I would imagine if they used the resoltions from the 16x9 aspect phones, that they would either run off the screen or have large black bars on the sides, if you used 2x. It would be good if the iPad gave you the option to choose the resolution. A couple of the iPhone apps I have look pretty good at 2x 4s resolution while a couple of others look like garbage, like the Google voice app.

Jan 14, 2015 6:28 PM in response to ToastyFlake

I think the capability for iPhone apps to run on iPad was developed back in 2010, well before any larger screen sizes were introduced.

Instead of a 2X scaler on the iPad, they should just have a fill screen button which is seen on many video players. With proper rendering code, its easy to increase the size of something and still maintain a decent image.

The iPhone 6+ runs at 1920x1080, thats very close to the resolution on the iPad which is 2048x1536 (at least the length is).

They might as well just render iPhone apps at 1 to 1 pixel reproduction on the iPad. They should definitely do this for the iPad mini because the 6+ and iPad mini are fairly close in size. Yet if you try running Google Voice on the iPad mini, you'll get a squashed 4S render.

Jun 17, 2015 12:49 AM in response to rcrez

Hi your answer helped me to find a correct path. But it will be great If you explain me the solution elaborately..

I have 4S to 6+ supportable iPhone Portrait application (developed as compact width and regular height), I like to run my application in iPad's with 6+ resolution mode instead of running in 4S res..What is the exact solution for that and what I need to do ? I am using iPad mini and iPhone 5C for testing ..

Dec 1, 2015 8:14 AM in response to rcrez

I have had to post this 4x now.. only proving all of my points in here. I have yet to get any response at all other than a plain flat out deletion of my post...

I challenge the mod who keeps doing this to actually read this at the **>>START HERE<<** toward the bottom part and just for the sake of making this a support forum, provide an answer. Even if it is "I do not know if the feature has been removed or not"

I like the 4s. It's size, it's sturdy construct, everything about it. I HATE my 4s running iOS9.. it's absolutely lousy and worthless.

I do NOT want a 6s. Period. It's too thin and too large.

But.. even if I say "I don't want any of these new cool apps b/c 'iOS 8 or newer is required for this applicaiton' means I have to upgrade."

I still have to throw away iOS 6 because all 102 of my apps want to update to a newer version. This would be ok with me but what happens is, instead of the update installing, it realizes that the update requires a newer OS. AGAIN I would be fine with this. But, it doesn't stop there. It actually BREAKS YOUR INSTALLED APPLICATION PERMANENTLY. So now, you have to LOSE THAT APP if it attempted to update. The problem is, you have no way of knowing which updates will break the app and which still maintain OS support...

All the developer would have to do is what they've already done. Personally I wish I had mind control and I would control all 15 million iphone users to never buy a single item or anything from the app store. When it all dried up, I would post a statement to apple. "Please forward to all developers. Starting today you will incorporate backwards compatibility to iOS6. If you do not do so, you will never receive a single purchase in the US."

That is the only thing that MS has over Apple. They might not have as polished a product, but you bet since 1984 they've had backwards compatibility.

I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but since Steve Jobs passed, the company has been sliding downhill in regards to direction and customer satisfaction.

Anyhow, rant concluded... now my quesiton...

**>>START HERE<<**

Did iOS8 and later get rid of the 1x/2x button on the ipad when running iphone apps? Or did they simply relocate the fucntion? I don't have a 1x/2x button anymore and all of my iphone apps run in my ipad are large mode and I don't like large mode. I would like to run them in 1x mode. Also none of them support landscape anymore...

Thanks in advance.

Please don't delete my post again moderator. Simply answer this question. (Did the 1x/2x functionality get removed in iOS8.2?)

I haven't run an iphone app in a while (since iOS 7.1)

<Edited by Host>

Dec 1, 2015 8:05 AM in response to Earnest Rutherford

Earnest Rutherford wrote:

I have had to post this 4x now.. only proving all of my points in here.

Then stop including the rant.

You will not get an answer from anyone at Apple here, by the way. This is a user-to-user technical support forum. Beyond deleting posts that violate the Terms of Use (ranting is one such violation, bad language another), the Hosts don't really read posts.

Dec 1, 2015 10:34 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yeah, their email notification system was really slow. I finally had gotten way after the fact an email stating why it was removed. (rants and complaints)

I thought it was because of the one S word I had in there so I put ** in place of the letters so it would go through but it wasn't that...

Also I cannot edit the post. I was going to just take out everything and leave only the topic related items. (now that I know what was up from that notification I got)

I have seen some posts here that were about the same as my rant but didn't contain a question so maybe it was an older policy instance where only profanities were filtered? Either way, I enter any forum with this specific mentality.

1)Always help in a technical capacity if possible

2)Never take any comments seriously or personally

3)If you expect to be heard whether off topic or not, complaining or not, you must then be willing to hear anything in return.

I've always walked with those three principles. I am highly against censorship. It should only be moderated if it contains threats or cruelty towards a specific person or group of people. I think twitter could learn a lot from a page in that book.

Either way thanks for getting back to me. Ultimately what is most important to me today is finding out if the 1x/2x feature was removed or not.

If a mod is reading this, can you enable editing for me or simply remove the non-relevant content as I wasn't aware it was a violation of policy.

Typically if the forum is free of charge and is user based, it has an anything goes barring any federally regulated communication standards. This was a first for me.

Honestly..

I am certainly sorry to anyone who objects to my breaking of the rules as I would not do so willfully or knowingly.

Dec 1, 2015 10:51 AM in response to Earnest Rutherford

Earnest Rutherford wrote:

I am highly against censorship. It should only be moderated if it contains threats or cruelty towards a specific person or group of people. I think twitter could learn a lot from a page in that book.

Either way thanks for getting back to me. Ultimately what is most important to me today is finding out if the 1x/2x feature was removed or not.

If a mod is reading this, can you enable editing for me or simply remove the non-relevant content as I wasn't aware it was a violation of policy.

Typically if the forum is free of charge and is user based, it has an anything goes barring any federally regulated communication standards. This was a first for me.

Honestly..

I am certainly sorry to anyone who objects to my breaking of the rules as I would not do so willfully or knowingly.

You can only edit a post within the first 15 minutes after posting it. After that, unless the Hosts remove it, it's here for eternity.

This is an Apple-owned forum. And, it is, by some standards, a very tightly moderated forum. It most certainly does not have an "anything goes" policy.

Here is the Terms of Use:

Apple Support Communities Use Agreement

You agreed to them when you signed up but may well have forgotten.

I think you did the correct thing in starting another thread, free of old baggage.

Dec 1, 2015 2:16 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

For certain. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I meant specific content filtering.

There is a list of boiler plate "don't" post rules in any forum, formal or informal.

language filters, off topic usually but usually, even in here what I posted, minus the S word would typically fly.

Again I signed up years ago and never bothered to read updates to the terms of use.

I probably should have defined "anything goes" more specifically. It was with the presumption that business standard on all forums was applied first and then beyond that each forum has its specific guidelines, etc.

I started the new thread b/c by the strictest sense it was off topic. Similar to this thread but not germane entirely.

As for this particular post, what I have found is that how the iphone apps are emulated is a "one size fits all" (depending on ipad and OS but 90% correct) and that the use of resolution is solely dependent on the developers. (i.e. native mode vs. iphone 4s, etc)

So to best answer the OP's question, "You cannot run in a better resolution because the environment these iphone apps are running is segregate from the ipad itself. It is essentially emulation within a container (think sandbox) and has specific restrictions based on the then required parameters to mimic an iphone exactly. Since the 5 and newer didn't exist when this emulation component was created it is confined to the 4s rendering. The only way I would see this changing is if it were possible to re-code the environment at the OS or possibly firmware level. This restriction may not apply to all ipad versions either."

Further to that point:

"Also there are two considerations if apple were to take this task on. 1)backward compatibility. Would you forego ALL iphone apps written w/o support for the new engine and only be able to run the newest apps that developers chose to support the new engine? 2)coordinating the needed SDKs for the app authors would be a major undertaking.."

The information I do not have is exactly where this emulation resides. If I knew that I could better answer the question.

So I am 100% guessing as to the work required to fix this scaling problem. It is a fairly educated guess however based on the changes I have seen in hardware and iOS.

Running iPhone apps on ipad in full resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.