Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Keychain not syncing wifi passwords

I recently set up iCloud Keychain on a non-admin account on a Mac (Mavericks 10.9.5) and an iPhone (iOS 8.0) for the express purpose of transferring wifi passwords. The Mac contains a load of wifi passwords that would be difficult to retrieve and then type into the iPhone. Anyway, to make a long story short, the passwords did not sync. I followed the instructions from Apple's support page here under "iCloud Keychain isn't syncing with other devices," but to no avail.

According to this Apple support page, an admin account is not required to use iCloud Keychain. I was never prompted for an admin password during the setup process. Is it possible that the account's non-admin status is preventing it from syncing wifi passwords? Do I have to give the account admin privileges to get it to sync the wifi passwords? That would be difficult as it would potentially be violating my institution's policies.

I have tried a variety of combinations of restarting both and/or either device, turning off and on iCloud Keychain on both devices (following instructions from the first linked support page), and just plain waiting. Nothing has fixed my problem yet. Ideas? Is there any way to manually force iCloud Keychain to sync? It all seems to be automatic and I've never had much trust in automatic behind-the-scenes syncing of anything.

Thanks for any input! Have a nice day!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 5:16 PM

1 reply

iCloud Keychain not syncing wifi passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.